Worst Hypo Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Last night I had the worst hypo I've had in 10 years, even though I have (once) been lower. I dropped from a 7.4 to 1.7 in an hour and I felt so weird, was shouting at my husband and really crying at the same time, frightened him! He got me things to eat and a coffee which I think he put a ton of sugar in and I was ok again in around 30 minutes but it was scary.

Had another hypo today and felt like I was going to pass out when holding my little daughter :(, luckily sorted that one quickly.

Have just started using the 4mm needles all the time, surely they wouldn't make that much difference, would they?

Last night I had the worst hypo I've had in 10 years, even though I have (once) been lower. I dropped from a 7.4 to 1.7 in an hour and I felt so weird, was shouting at my husband and really crying at the same time, frightened him! He got me things to eat and a coffee which I think he put a ton of sugar in and I was ok again in around 30 minutes but it was scary.

Had another hypo today and felt like I was going to pass out when holding my little daughter :(, luckily sorted that one quickly.

Have just started using the 4mm needles all the time, surely they wouldn't make that much difference, would they?

Not sure about the needles, but hope you're feeling much better now! sending hugs xxx

Poor you, not nice at all. What needles did you use before? When I swapped from 8mm to 5mm I had loads of hypos for about a week and then it settled again - no idea why.

Poor you, not nice at all. What needles did you use before? When I swapped from 8mm to 5mm I had loads of hypos for about a week and then it settled again - no idea why.

I have always used 6mm needles before.

I have always used 6mm needles before.

I spoke to my doctor about it and he said he'd never heard of it happening before but thought possibly I was not injecting into scar tissue now where I may have been before. Don't think they knew really though. Hope it soon settles for you.

Your at risk of another low hypo for the next 24 hours - so run yourself higher than usual as your liver will be trying to recover. Hope you feel back to normal soon.🙂Bev

Might just be one of those things. :( To drop so much so quickly is bound to be scary - I've had two such hypos since I was diagnosed a couple of years ago and had to really fight to stay in control and treat them. For one I had to knock on my neighbour's door and ask if I could sit with her for a while.

I've always used the same size of needles so can't say if that might have an effect. Maybe it's got something to do with where the capilliaries are and how quickly the insulin gets absorbed?

Big hug

Oh sorry to hear that hypos are scary esp when they that low and come on so fast but glad your husband was there to help even though u scared him.lol
Your not alone have had scary hypos that have made me cry part of diabetes I guess.

Big hug.xxx

Don't quote me but I believe the 4mm needles are made to specifically deliver insulin into the layer of fat below the skin. Any longer and the insulin can end up going into muscle. Fat absorbs insulin a lot slower than muscle so the "hit" isn't as fast or harsh. Keep testing though as a follow up hypo is quite common as your liver builds up again as said above.

Still having the hypos, had a 2.1 this afternoon, but have been testing loads and will continue to do so!

Thanks everyone for your replies, it helps just to share with people who actually know what I am going through.

Hoping I'll be ok at work tomorrow as my diabetes terrifies my boss 😱!

Still having the hypos, had a 2.1 this afternoon, but have been testing loads and will continue to do so!

Thanks everyone for your replies, it helps just to share with people who actually know what I am going through.

Hoping I'll be ok at work tomorrow as my diabetes terrifies my boss 😱!

Have you thought about lowering your levemir tonight? Perhaps just by a very small amount - it may be enough to give your body a rest and run yourself a little higher - as you know - hypos' breed hypo's so you get into a cycle of it.😱🙂Bev

Have you thought about lowering your levemir tonight? Perhaps just by a very small amount - it may be enough to give your body a rest and run yourself a little higher - as you know - hypos' breed hypo's so you get into a cycle of it.😱🙂Bev

I hadn't actually but it's a good thought, will do, thanks.

my guess if all you have changed is your needle length is that for however long you were using the longer ones, you have built up scar tissue and that some of your insulin before was not being absorbed properly. and now that you are using shorter needles, it's not reaching the scar tissue underneath and now 100% of your insulin is being absorbed, which would then result in lower readings.

If I were you, I'd lower my MDI's a little and keep testing to see how that goes. Obviously I am not an expert so please don't take this as a given. This would just be my advice.

Good luck and hope you're feeling much better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back