Worshipping the NHS costs lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Imagine if an airline crashed 10 planes each year, killing 3,000 passengers in avoidable accidents; after its most disturbing disaster, wiping out 1,200 people, the two managers responsible were promoted to the firm's top jobs ? one as chief executive, the other in charge of safety. Then it was discovered that the company silenced whistleblowers while covering-up serious failings that led to fatalities.
It is fair to assume there would be an immense public outcry. The airline would be grounded, the managers deservedly hounded into prison. Politicians would demand the overhaul of an industry plainly suffering profound structural flaws.

Yet this is precisely the scenario in our hallowed National Health Service, while Britons cling to a nostalgic notion that this creaking, outdated institution is the envy of the world. Perhaps, as scandal after scandal washes over the service, our nation can finally grow up and see that such myopic worship helped foster a culture of complacency kills patients.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/worshipping-the-nhs-costs-lives-8669701.html

I think they may even have been under pressure from politicians to act as they did and that is why they got promotions rather than prison.

I think they may even have been under pressure from politicians to act as they did and that is why they got promotions rather than prison.

Given the way so many powerful people have been exposed as corrupt liars and cheats in recent years it wouldn't surprise me in the least. It's such a shame that the huge amount of good in the NHS is overshadowed by these dreadful scandals - hopefully real lessons will be learned for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back