Worries about Freestyle Libre 2 sensor falling off

Status
Not open for further replies.

berryr99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just about to start using Libre 2. Can anyone advise of a product that will help protect the sensor when its on my arm. I'm worried about it getting knocked off or falling off

Thanks

Robert

Can anyone advise of a product that will help protect the sensor when its on my arm. I'm worried about it getting knocked off or falling off
There are lots of adhesive patches available. You can also use Tegaderm or some similar generic sticky thing. People also sell straps with 3D printed holders for the sensor (which are obviously reusable).

You might also find that the glue is fine on its own and you don't need anything. (There's always a bit of a chance of knocking the thing, but for most people that's not a big risk.)

I bought an elastic arm strap for it which has a 3D printed plastic watch face which fits snugly over the Libre proving support around the edge where it is most vulnerable. The strap gets pinged on clothing etc but the Libre stays intact. It also acts as a visual reminder as to which arm the sensor is on this week when I get in the shower as I have inadvertently tried to scrub it off before when I am using my exfolliating gloves to have a good scrub.
Placement is also important and making sure it is more towards the back of the arm rather than on the side where it will be more vulnerable to catching on doorways etc. I had no idea how finely I judge doorways until I started using Libre and caught it a couple of times.

You can over tape them with Tegederm or I used Micropore in the early days before I got an arm strap, but if the tape starts to lift you have to be very careful removing and replacing it as it sticks very well to the sensor. The central hole in the sensor should be left clear as one of it's functions is to allow the skin underneath to breath with the sensor being on for 14 days, that can be important.

Really important to ensure your skin is thoroughly cleaned and even more thoroughly dried. I blast my arm with the hair drier after towel drying. I apply the sensor before bed to give it a good few hours before it is exposed to the rigours of the day and door frames etc and I apply it the night before I want to start it so that it had about 12 hours bedding in period. Some people apply it a day or even 2 in advance as their body reacts more strongly to a foreign body being fired into it. The recommended 60 minute warm up time is not long enough for many peoples' bodies to settle down after application, so the first day or two, the readings may be slightly or even significantly off, but settle down after that, so giving it a day of bedding in before activating it can help to overcome that. The 14 days doesn't start until you activate the sensor, so it is no problem applying it a day before.

There are lots of adhesive patches available. You can also use Tegaderm or some similar generic sticky thing. People also sell straps with 3D printed holders for the sensor (which are obviously reusable).

You might also find that the glue is fine on its own and you don't need anything. (There's always a bit of a chance of knocking the thing, but for most people that's not a big risk.)
Thanks for this. I am very clumsy !

Just about to start using Libre 2. Can anyone advise of a product that will help protect the sensor when its on my arm. I'm worried about it getting knocked off or falling off

Thanks

Robert

I found the Libre stuck well. I didn’t have to use any additional products. I washed my arm with soap and water, dried it off well, then wiped with an alcohol swab, let it dry and applied the sensor, carefully and gently pressing it down. I found it best to avoid showering for a day as then the adhesive got an excellent stick. I too was worried about knocking mine because I’m exceptionally clumsy, but I didn’t. Watch out for door frames, getting dressed/undressed, getting in and out of the car and inadvertently rubbing or scratching it. Once you’re used to it, it’s fine.

Like @Inka I do not put anything over my sensor to keep it in place.
I find the likelihood of a sensor staying in place is down to preparation and positioning.
Preparation - make sure the area is completely dry with no moisturiser and avoid getting it wet for at least 12 hours.
Positioning - sounds weird but keep it away from "corners". Sensors do not bend so do not place them on a part of the arm that is likely to bend when you move it such as on the bicep. Also avoid an "exposed" area that you may knock such as the outside of your arm. I place my sensors high up on the back of my arm - in line with my arm pit and close to my shoulder.

Well I’ve catapulted one off with a bra strap, knocked one off getting into my car but apart from that they are pretty well stuck on me. Oh there was that time when it was super hot last year and my sons school shut, I had to go fetch him as it was deemed to hot for them to walk, the air con in my car was broken and it was that hot the libre literally slid off my arm ….looking out my window right now, I don’t think that’s an immediate issue lol

Perhaps I have dry skin but my problem is levering the old Libre off my arm once it has expired!

Perhaps I have dry skin but my problem is levering the old Libre off my arm once it has expired!
Baby oil is the best for helping with this.

I've had 1 faulty, never stuck and only 1 I have knocked off since March 2020, I think that is very good going. I a very clumsy so I think you will be okay. See how you get ob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back