Worried..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Last edited:
Maybe your levels have been fantastic recently so that your body is used to being at great levels and so 11 is just too high. I think the pear drop smell can come if high as well as with ketones, I don't think it is just ketones. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope you are ok.

When I am high usually above 12-13 I get a funny taste in my mouth, and for me it's not due to ketones as I am not prone to building ketones.

Steffie, you may have a low level of ketones that isn't showing on the strips, but don't worry. As a Type 2 who is not on insulin injections, your body can cope with ketones and it won't become dangerous. They are dangerous to people on insulin if they don't have enough insulin injected to help process them (ketones need insulin just as blood glucose does).

Ask your OH if he can smell pear drops on your breath. Ketones are produced naturally when your body burns fat cells for energy, so it may just be a sign that you are slimming down a bit!

Last edited:
He is out, i've rang my neighbour because i started shaking and eyes were going blurred, my son was freaking out so i shouted him to go next door, ive gone through a litre of water and at the minute im OK.

Away to bed though it has totally shattered me.

Oh steffie first of all a big hug, I do hope you feel heaps better in the morning and I hope you had a good nights sleep. Let us know how you feel tomorrow. SheenaX

Last edited:
Ketones are produced naturally when your body burns fat cells for energy, so it may just be a sign that you are slimming down a bit!

Are you absolutely sure about that one? I've lost a couple of stone since diagnosis and have not had the pear drops taste once. Pre-diagnosis, I had it quite frequently when losing a mere one stone unexpectedly.

Aren't other factors involved in producing ketones rather than just burning fat? Or is it down to how quickly the fat is burned?

Andy

Hi Steffie, Hope you are okay now and manage to get some sleep (((hugs))) x

Last edited:
Are you feeling any better Steffie?

Last edited:
Glad to hear your feeling better Steffie.

Glad you are feeling a bit better, Steffie 🙂 x

Are you absolutely sure about that one? I've lost a couple of stone since diagnosis and have not had the pear drops taste once. Pre-diagnosis, I had it quite frequently when losing a mere one stone unexpectedly.

Aren't other factors involved in producing ketones rather than just burning fat? Or is it down to how quickly the fat is burned?

Andy

I am not an expert but I think the process of burning fat during excercise is different from the proccess of burning fat (and muscle) for energy due to lack of insulin......

I do believe ketones are produced naturally and in small amounts to act as energy for the brain in times of fasting, but I think there are also different types as well with varying PH levels.............

Hope you fell better soon steff......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back