Worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trisha66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I wonder if you can give me some advice. A month ago I was taken off my diabetic medication. Metformin 500mg 2 twice a day as I was being investigated for an ongoing infection. These investigations are still ongoing. 4 days later I had a blackout while at a wedding. I was convinced I'd had a hypo but after having tests at the hospital was told it wasn't a hypo and I have an appointment at the blackout clinic. My BG have been between 12 and 24 and I'm not due to see DN until 10th January. I'm really worried about my high levels. Had hb1ac test 2 weeks ago and it was 64. Sorry about the long winded post but I would appreciate any advice.

If they aren't wanting to prescribe any medication at present, then the only options you really have are increasing exercise (though with that blackout definitely not doing exercise alone, and may be best to be cautious) and reducing total carbohydrate intake (gradually is generally better for eyes and nerves than abruptly reducing carbs).

Without being on any medication that could cause blood sugar to drop (e.g. insulin, glicazide) having a hypo is unlikely, especially given the blood sugars you're seeing at present, unless you have reactive hypoglycaemia as well (I would guess you would have already seen some low blood sugars if you did have that but not certain).

Hi.

Sorry to hear about your blackout, but good that you have been referred to a clinic to have that checked out.

As suggested, your main route to deal with those high levels at the moment is to reduce your carbohydrate intake.
Perhaps if you can give us an idea of what you currently eat and drink on a typical day ie your normal breakfast, lunch and evening meal and any snacks etc, we can maybe suggest items that could be significantly raising your BG levels and what you could eat instead which your body might cope better with?
Dietary changes can be much more powerful at lowering BG levels than metformin, so they should be an important part of your diabetes management anyway. I know it is a difficult time of year for tightening up your diet but with levels going up into the 20s you really need to proactively tackle that.

You obviously have a BG meter. Do you test before and 2 hours after meals to see which meals are causing your levels to sky rocket that high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back