Worried about my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaL76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hello you lot. Some of you may know I’m waiting on my MODY test results. Now just for fun my kids have on occasion tested their bloods, I have 3 daughters and a son. Now eldest is 24 and she is the only one who seems to consistently have much higher results than the others and today after eating the same meal as me , salad chicken etc I had a mini choc pud and she had a mini milk ice lolly I was 7.8 after 1 hour and she was 12.2. We tested again and it was correct. My meal was more carby than hers… am I being silly to worry? Does anybody else test regular folks ? Can this be a normal response? I’m not asking for medical diagnosis just wondered if anybody else has any thoughts. Just for context she is a gym goer with a very healthy diet, annoyingly she is the healthiest eater of all my kids. I’m that worried she’s currently wearing my next weeks libre!

Worrying is a parent’s job @EmmaL76 Totally normal. My questions are did her blood sugar come down and when? And also, is that all she ate? I ask because it seems very low in carbs (unless she had carbs with the salad?) and sometimes that can cause your body to push out glucose, even if you’re not diabetic.

Hi inka, thanks for responding. Well she came home from work and had a little biscuit. Then we had salad , coleslaw. Her chicken was lightly breaded. Then she had the ice cream, but they are the little Jude’s ones like a mini milk but only 2.9g carbs. Half a can of Diet Coke… hang on I’m gonna stick her again, her libre is going through the set up. She was 4.2 before meal x

Okay so 2 and a half hours later she’s at 7. Hubby on the other hand had chips, lasagne half a crusty loaf and an ice bun …. He peaked at 7 😡

Okay so 2 and a half hours later she’s at 7. Hubby on the other hand had chips, lasagne half a crusty loaf and an ice bun …. He peaked at 7 😡
Here's a study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769652/

It looks to me like her peak was outside what they saw but I've no idea whether it's significant. Maybe it's one of these cases where the test strip gave the wrong result? Or maybe healthy people can (occasionally) go over 12. Or maybe she's got some infection and that's (temporarily) throwing her blood glucose out a bit. As you can see from the graphs from the study there's a fair bit of variation in non-diabetic people.

See what the sensor shows after a few days, I guess?

(And, speaking of sensors, I've been 100% in range for a couple of days now which is pretty unusual!)

Well done on the time in range! What a rockstar !! And Thankyou for the research

I did make her wash her hands and tested 3 times . It was correct. She did have covid last month, but over the last year or so her results have been similar in the probably dozen times we have tested it.

I spoke about her with the MODY team, they were interested to learn more about us because we were both very poorly when I had her. This was when my blood sugars were picked up, I had a blistering rash that covered my entire body, I also had shingles and pre eclampsia. When she was delivered she had group b strep which gave her blood poisoning and I nearly lost her . She also has a connective tissues disorder and has extreme hyper mobility. Something went horribly wrong right there and then i believe

Well, that’s good 🙂 I once tested a friend’s blood sugar and they took longer than 2hrs to get back into range too. That was after a normal meal and a dessert.I don’t remember the peak but it was high enough for me to comment on it (and for them to freak out:D ) But it went back into range at a similar time to your daughter’s. They made me test every 15 mins after two hours and I’d guess it was 2hr30 or 2hr45 that it went to 7.8, then down to 5.6 I think on the following check 15 mins later. That was around 8 years ago and they’re fine. No diabetes, no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back