World's First Safety-Engineered Pen Needle With Passive, Dual-Ended Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
BD AutoShield(TM) Duo is a next generation, 5mm safety-engineered pen needle designed to protect healthcare workers from needlestick injuries and blood exposure. It is now available in the US from BD Medical, a segment of BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company), a leading global medical technology company.

Protection After Use: The BD AutoShield(TM) Duo is the only pen needle with front and back-end needle protection. The safety mechanisms activate automatically after use, virtually eliminating the risk of exposure to contaminated needles for clinicians and others.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bd...with-passive-dual-ended-protection-2011-10-31

Begger the patients, let's take care of the health workers ......

I do seem to have got out of bed the grumpy side today, don't I? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking as healrth professional, I don't care if I stab myself with a needle that's already been in myself, but stabbing myself with a needle that's been inside someone else is a very different matter - fortunately, I've only done it once, but had to have blood taken from both the patient and myself and wait 6 months to be sure patient was free of any detectable blood borne infections.

Personally, I'm very careful to keep my used sharps safely, clip off needles, resheath lancets, use pot / sharps bin etc so no bin man or health professional suffers the same fate.

Something I found interesting is that the needles are designed to by used with one hand, which may be useful to some people who find it difficult (or impossible) to 'pinch up' before injecting. Hopefully, they will become available here as well (and to individuals, not just HCPs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back