World Diabetes Day 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This is the official launch video for of the International Diabetes Federation's World Diabetes Day - November 14th 2010 (also, incidentally, this forum's second birthday!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA7QsnVXwM4&feature=youtu.be

I'm a little disappointed, personally, by the main message of the campaign, which is that diabetes is a preventable disease. For many, many people this may be true, in that if they are at risk then they may be able to delay the onset by adaptations to diet and lifestyle. This is what the campaign wants to educate people about. However, as we know, there are a huge number of people in the world (of ALL types) who have led good, healthy lives and yet have succumbed. From this video, I believe the message the world will be hearing will be that 'it's your fault'.

I KNOW it's tricky, that with proper education thousands may be spared developing diabetes, but many thousands more will be regarded as responsible for their own fates. Maybe, as Mr Spock would say 'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few'. Will be interested to see how the campaign develops.

If you want to discuss this, please remain courteous and respectful to fellow posters, thanks.

Just had a look myself..

Am I totally stupid or does that seem to be aimed more at Type 2 diabetics than type 1?

Maybe we should club together and organise an event!

Just had a look myself..

Am I totally stupid or does that seem to be aimed more at Type 2 diabetics than type 1?

Maybe we should club together and organise an event!

It's aimed at educating the vast majority of people at risk from diabetes, where risks can be more clearly identified, which is a very good thing. As far as Type 1 is concerned there is no amount of education that can help people minimise the risks, as the risk factors are so elusive. So it is more a campaign about helping those at risk, rather than educating the world in general about what it entails for those who already have it.

I was disappointed as well, but if it helps I'm going to buy some blue light bulbs.
Also nice to see how the fat cats live, although I see they not only don't have a clear desk policy (what a tip), but I didn't see a meter or lancing device anywhere. I felt sorry for Luc the congress director, stuck there all on his own but it's his own fault he was the only one that had a tidy desk and a nice yellow highlighter.
I'ts a pity that they are highlighting that a persons waist measurement was a measure of their risk of diabetes, but I did like the blue badge, want one of those, if they make it big enough to go round my waist.

Once must be careful not to be racist, especially towards continental americans who work abroad. Speaking of which how do they manage to pronounce 'solder' as sodder?

I'm sure I've got it wrong, but I hope you're not suggesting that my problem with someone mispronouncing diabetes to be based on racism? Like I say, I'm sure I'm just reading that wrong 🙂

I agree that it does come over as being quite focused on T2 - however, it's only a snapshot of what they're doing, so I'm hopeful that this is going to end up being much more balanced than it might appear at this point in time 🙂

I found that annoying aswell!

As a student of languages, and given that she is a Portuguese-Canadian, I'll let her off! 🙂 I like the blue badge as well. Thought the London Eye looked the best lit up because it's a circle!

I think it's the 'narrator' who is Portugese Canadian. The woman she talks to is the one who is saying it 'diabetis' - I think the first woman? The narrator says it the way I've always heard it 🙂

Ah! Sorry Becky, it's a while since I watched it and I'm getting quite old 😉

one would have thought that they would have got it right....there is too many if but and maybe's around diabetes its not as clean cut as they made it out.....mixed messages to people who do not know about diabetes stating that it can be prevented when there is a conciderable amount of us that is not the case

[sarcasm] Ah, so thats where I went wrong all those years ago, I forgot to prevent my auto-immune system from attacking the beta cells in my pancreas and caused my own diabetes.[/sarcasm]

I also hate people that say 'dia-beet-is'. I've always heard and pronounced it 'dia-bee-tees' - the clue is in the second 'e'. But you say tom-ah-to, I say tom-ay-to. And don't even get me started on pork ('p-oar-k' or 'p-aw-rk')

NiVZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back