Workplace Awareness Courses

daniel.anderson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Good morning everyone! 🙂

I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of there being a certified type 1 diabetes awareness course available for employers? I've just started working at a new organisation in the last couple of months, and they're very open and supportive of putting something in place for all colleagues to do as part of mandatory training (on our training academy).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Good morning everyone! 🙂

I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of there being a certified type 1 diabetes awareness course available for employers? I've just started working at a new organisation in the last couple of months, and they're very open and supportive of putting something in place for all colleagues to do as part of mandatory training (on our training academy).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Where I worked there was periodic 'Emergency aid' courses which people could sign up for which covered the basics of first aid, CPR etc.
They were not qualified First Aiders but enough for emergency situations.
They were run by St John Ambulance or Paramedics.

I can’t see why everyone would need to be trained in type 1 diabetes. The first aider should have covered it in their training. Why not just do a 1:1 with them to refresh their training if you’re worried they don’t know enough?

I can’t see why everyone would need to be trained in type 1 diabetes. The first aider should have covered it in their training. Why not just do a 1:1 with them to refresh their training if you’re worried they don’t know enough?
I saw it more as general awareness training, not emergency first aid orientated, For example, 'this is why I have a packet of sweets in my desk drawer that needs to stay there and not get eaten by someone else' or 'If I suddenly get my phone out in the middle of a meeting and discreetly look at it, I'm not on facebook, I’m checking my Blood Glucose'. or 'If I've dropped low, it’s illegal for me to drive for 45 minutes after I've treated it, so don’t think I’m just making a fuss' Is this more what you mean, @daniel.anderson ?

I saw it more as general awareness training, not emergency first aid orientated, For example, 'this is why I have a packet of sweets in my desk drawer that needs to stay there and not get eaten by someone else' or 'If I suddenly get my phone out in the middle of a meeting and discreetly look at it, I'm not on facebook, I’m checking my Blood Glucose'. or 'If I've dropped low, it’s illegal for me to drive for 45 minutes after I've treated it, so don’t think I’m just making a fuss' Is this more what you mean, @daniel.anderson ?
I’ve been caught out in a meeting like that. I’d actually headed a low off prior to attending? But I had to snooze the alarm as it dropped lower before the rise from the 10g top up. The first aid guy goes all “corporal Jones” if I mention needing a plaster. I’m diabetic not a haemophiliac. :rofl:

Maybe add
"The reason I have blood splattered all over my shirt is not because I slaughtered the last person who tried to explain diabetes to me* but because I couldn't get enough blood out of my finger to take a BG reading so shook may hand and it all came out in one.
*Although I reserve the right to slaughter the next non medically trained person who thinks they know more about my diabetes than I do, especially if my BG is low."

Last edited:
I have gone into some workplaces and done a Diabetes Awareness session. This was organised through Diabetes UK, as request came to them from a local company. Perhaps a proactive approach @daniel.anderson and if you would prefer not to do such an event ask if there is a speaker available from DUk.

Maybe add
"The reason I have blood splattered all over my shirt is not because I slaughtered the last person who tried to explain diabetes to me* but because I couldn't get enough blood out of my finger to take a BG reading so shook may hand and it all came out in one.
*Although I reserve the right to slaughter the next non medically trained person who thinks they know more about my diabetes than I do, especially if my BG is low."
You could get away with it too. Low blood sugars is a defense for murder, if you can prove you were not in control of your behaviour

You could get away with it too. Low blood sugars is a defense for murder, if you can prove you were not in control of your behaviour
Good job I’m passive when low. I pretty much see a clown in big shoes? Pretty much walk away from “Pennywise.”

Hello, welcome. I’ll tag in @everydayupsanddowns . Who might know?

I asked the Diabetes UK Information Team who said they weren’t aware of any accredited awareness courses suitable for professional organisations.

However, there is our Supporting Someone With Diabetes at Work page, which can be found here: Supporting someone with diabetes at work | Diabetes UK. The information on this page is made to be passed on to work places to learn how they can support people living with diabetes.

Perhaps that may be of some help @daniel.anderson ?

Back