Workplace adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am doing a presentation next week about diabetes which will include a section on workplace adjustments. I wouod be grateful if anyone has experience of adjustments made to account for their diabetes.

Yes, when I worked in a call-centre and every break from the phone had to be coded (eg #2 - toilet break), I was given a special medical code I could input when testing or bolusing. That medical time was then omitted from my weekly figures, meaning I wasn’t penalised for the unavoidable time I had to spend on the diabetes.

If I need time off for a diabetes appointment, I can cancel any classes and rearrange them for another, more convenient, time / day. In fact, for my last appointment I managed to persuade my boss to cover a class for me. She doesn’t do any teaching these days but used to be a teacher. I think she quite enjoyed herself!

Yes, when I worked in a call-centre and every break from the phone had to be coded (eg #2 - toilet break), I was given a special medical code I could input when testing or bolusing. That medical time was then omitted from my weekly figures, meaning I wasn’t penalised for the unavoidable time I had to spend on the diabetes.
Thanks Inka. Very helpful

Paid time off to go to courses such as DAFNE, especially when newly diagnosed
Thanks. I had this opportunity too. It was in the days before the forum so my first chance to meet others with T1.

If I need time off for a diabetes appointment, I can cancel any classes and rearrange them for another, more convenient, time / day. In fact, for my last appointment I managed to persuade my boss to cover a class for me. She doesn’t do any teaching these days but used to be a teacher. I think she quite enjoyed herself!
Glad that you gave her the opportunity to have a go again. Thanks

I travel a reasonable amount for work so they provide travel insurance. They have agreed to provide a higher level of insurance for me to ensure my diabetes is covered.

I have more adjustments for my ME than for diabetes

For ME I have
Reduced hours (with reduced pay and holidays) with set time off midweek

Additional unpaid breaks during the day.

Occasionally when needed, will get someone to cover a meeting so I can fit my breaks in

I use a larger font all the time and a screen reader on occasion too but these I set up myself

For diabetes I have

Occasional short notice breaks when needed for a bad hypo. I make the time up elsewhere when feeling better.

Leave when needed for appointments, I make the time up elsewhere and make the appts video call where I can to reduce time out.

I don’t need lunch at a set time but I make sure it’s blocked out in my calendar so that I know when it is (in case I’m rage stacking corrections)

I travel a reasonable amount for work so they provide travel insurance. They have agreed to provide a higher level of insurance for me to ensure my diabetes is covered.
Thanks Helli. That sounds like a good employer.

I have more adjustments for my ME than for diabetes

For ME I have
Reduced hours (with reduced pay and holidays) with set time off midweek

Additional unpaid breaks during the day.

Occasionally when needed, will get someone to cover a meeting so I can fit my breaks in

I use a larger font all the time and a screen reader on occasion too but these I set up myself

For diabetes I have

Occasional short notice breaks when needed for a bad hypo. I make the time up elsewhere when feeling better.

Leave when needed for appointments, I make the time up elsewhere and make the appts video call where I can to reduce time out.

I don’t need lunch at a set time but I make sure it’s blocked out in my calendar so that I know when it is (in case I’m rage stacking corrections)
Thanks Lucy.
This emphasises the need to find practical solutions in negotiation with the employer wherever possible.

When I last worked in a full-time office job, I was always allowed to go to diabetes check-ups, appointments, and reviews without having to take them as holiday.

Mind you I did a LOT of unpaid overtime at that place, so I don’t think they’d have dared to ask me to take those odd hours as annual leave!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back