Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukedr89

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi just a question on sickness and absence. Can a work place give out a 3 in 6 absence warning when one of the absence was diabetes related?

What’s a 3 out of 6 warning @lukedr89 ? Was the diabetes-related absence an appointment or after a hypo? Employers have to make reasonable adjustments for diabetes.

You could try the DUk helpline if you require more support around employment law or source of advice if not in a union.

Hi just a question on sickness and absence. Can a work place give out a 3 in 6 absence warning when one of the absence was diabetes related?

What do you mean by diabetes related? I would say not for an outpatient appointment but yes for hyper or hypo glycemia. For about the last ten years of my working life I used to book a half day holiday for clinics as dumb managers were for ever saying "Can you change it as it's not convenient", etc.

What do you mean by diabetes related? I would say not for an outpatient appointment but yes for hyper or hypo glycemia. For about the last ten years of my working life I used to book a half day holiday for clinics as dumb managers were for ever saying "Can you change it as it's not convenient", etc.
I had to resort to same, often loosing up to 90% of my leave each year, it’s something I raised with the work around young diabetes issues that was in the media this week, type 2 patients face huge barriers with work and time off and stopping us attending our essential appointments to see where we are sat in terms of checks for complications.

The employer can do whatever they like at the end of the day.

They can in theory but they might find themselves in trouble if they break the law or are taken to a tribunal.
I know. It's what's known as getting away with murder. Happens every day.

I was having continuous hypos. Due to having some kind of bug. So i called in to say i couldnt come in due to hypos from said bug. I thought it ahould be a something or nothing situation but ive recieved a disciplinary. The other 2 incidents one was an accident i had the other was a suspected stroke which i was hospitalised for

I was having continuous hypos. Due to having some kind of bug. So i called in to say i couldnt come in due to hypos from said bug. I thought it ahould be a something or nothing situation but ive recieved a disciplinary. The other 2 incidents one was an accident i had the other was a suspected stroke which i was hospitalised for
If it is a large employer they should have a sickness policy in place which you could ask to see. But do call the DUK helpline as they will have better knowledge of the law and disability discrimination legislation.
It does sound as if they are being unreasonable.

All of those sound reasonable. I’d get some advice (from your union and from DUK) and stand up to them. I’d also mention discrimination. When I had some issues at work, I nipped them in the bud by telling them that Type 1 was covered by disability discrimination.

Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time at work @lukedr89, and it sounds like you’ve been having a difficult time with your diabetes too - including a stroke :(

This page has information about your rights at work

Diabetes is covered by the Equality Act, so employers are required to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to accommodate the needs of people with a disability (and diabetes counts as disability in legal terms, even if it doesn’t feel that way to live with)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back