Working on cruise ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraU

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys and girls,

I’m new to this page and was looking for some guidance/advice.

I’ve been offered a job on a cruise ship to work as a nurse but have been told I need an ENG1 medical, I’ve been looking online and it’s looking very unlikely I’ll be able to get the job with type 1 diabetes which is devastating.

I’ve been type 1 for 21 years with no complications.
Has anyone had any experience or information on this?

Thanks

Laura

Hey guys and girls,

I’m new to this page and was looking for some guidance/advice.

I’ve been offered a job on a cruise ship to work as a nurse but have been told I need an ENG1 medical, I’ve been looking online and it’s looking very unlikely I’ll be able to get the job with type 1 diabetes which is devastating.

I’ve been type 1 for 21 years with no complications.
Has anyone had any experience or information on this?

Thanks

Laura
Can I suggest you ring the Diabetes UK help line for advice as there is potentially a Disability discrimination issue if that was the only reason you were refused. It may depend on where the ship is registered what regulations would apply.

Welcome to the forum @LauraU

I’ve moved your thread to the General board to get more attention.

Hope you have managed to contact the Diabetes UK helpline and they were able to give you some pointers. Was there any specific reason why you thought an ENG1 was unlikely? It’s not something I am familiar with.

There are some links to general employment information here:

Best of luck with your job offer!

Doing a single handed circumnavigation has long been a day-dream of mine. As a result, I have at least heard of the ENG-1. You can read the full UK government advice for seafarers here

The relevant bits are from this section:
The most important conditions that can affect fitness are:

• diabetes treated with insulin (Type 1 or 2)
  • conditions that can cause sudden incapacity
  • conditions that put you at increased risk of illness while in charge of a vessel (remote from assistance)
  • medication with side effects that reduce performance or alertness – and can cause complications while in charge of a vessel

This section mentions the possibility of being declared "fit with restrictions", which would limit your work to certain jobs and locations.

While you should keep posting on this forum, (this is especial true if you feel the rules are discriminatory,) I think you might get more authoritative guidance in this section of the Yachting and Boating World forums.

Keep us posted with how you get on, I, for one, will be very interested to hear your progress.

Best of luck
Irvine

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you for your messages and advice.
I’ve just been for my ENG1 and haven’t been granted it due to the Dr carrying it out wanting more information from my consultant.
If I do get the eng1 it will be with limitations meaning no lone working, working from heights, and uk costal waters only, unless a dr onboard.
So it’s looking unlikely for me to get the job as a cruise ship nurse, because working as a nurse onboard you are working alone and on call.

To say I’m upset is an understatement, I’ve been diabetic for 22 years now and it has never stopped me from doing anything in my life. This is the first time I’ve experienced this.

Anyway thought I’d post and let you guys know what my outcome was.

Thanks again,

Laura

f I do get the eng1 it will be with limitations meaning no lone working, working from heights, and uk costal waters only, unless a dr onboard.
So from that I assume no one with type1 diabetes can live alone either! Keep fighting young lady.

What size cruise ship are we talking about? All the ones we’ve been on (600 passengers, approx) had a doctor on board. And they were happy to accept passengers with Type 1 Diabetes.

Hi Laura ,So sorry to hear about this . I have just encountered a similar issue with my Daughter. She was due to start her dream job as cruise staff onboard a Disney Cruise ship. She is so upset as she has failed her medical this week solely down to being Type 1. The reason we have been given is that she is too much of a risk when in high seas (50 miles from shore). Obviously these ships have good medical facilities, and must be generally equipped for most situations as they have Type 1 guests on board. I haven't given up yet as it seems so unfair. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's a difficult situation all around.
I worked offshore many years ago, and had to be certified for everything.
Unfortunately it's not focused on yourself, but on your ability to be able to aid others in a emergency.
Out of coastal waters and you really are on your own.
We were all trained in search and rescue, firefighting, first aid, BA usage, life boat and life raft deployment, among other things, even down to jumping off the deck into the sea.
So it is an onerous job at the wrong time in the wrong place.
Bigger ships obviously have different skill sets in different teams, but it's still a prime consideration of the employee that at some time somewhere something may go wrong, and you or someone next to you may be getting wet or needing urgent intervention, or both.
But things are changing with diabetes, and many more places are recognising that.

Hi Laura ,So sorry to hear about this . I have just encountered a similar issue with my Daughter. She was due to start her dream job as cruise staff onboard a Disney Cruise ship. She is so upset as she has failed her medical this week solely down to being Type 1. The reason we have been given is that she is too much of a risk when in high seas (50 miles from shore). Obviously these ships have good medical facilities, and must be generally equipped for most situations as they have Type 1 guests on board. I haven't given up yet as it seems so unfair. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
I’m sorry to hear that the same thing has happened to your daughter as me. It’s very disheartening.
I’ve taken a back seat from it just now but planning on making another appointment for a medical with a different gp, and have proof of my good control and letter for consultant. That’s the only other thing I can think of.

Again if you have any advice or information please share
I hope it works out for your daughter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back