• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Working Nighs

KAREN1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Does Anyone Work Nights And If So Can Anyone Tell Me How They Cope With Type1 Diabetes. I Am Hoping To Return To Work In A Few Weeks And I Work Permanent Nights, My Dn Has Told Me I Will Have To Be Careful As Everything Will Change Regarding Levels And Insulin I Am Not Carb Counting At Moment As Insulin Is Down Due To Low Levels And Lots Of Hypo,s. Having Said That I Have Gone A Couple Of Days Without Any Hypo's (hooray!).

When you say permanent nights, what is your work pattern eg 3 nights per week, all together; 7 nights on, 7 off etc. I worked a lot of night duties before dignosis, then changed career, got diagnosed, now only work occasional, virtually random nights. I have noticed that either people can do nights, or they can't, and since you work permanent nights, I'm assuming that you're basically happy with the arrangement?
The complication at the moment is that during the honeymoon phase, your pancreas will occasionally get into action and produce some insulin - and it doesn't take into account what you have already injected. So, key is to test before something happens eg before you have to go to another part of your workplace, but also while it's quite and easy to test, rather than in the middle of an incident, although sometimes that will be essential. I'd suggest thinking through how you can carry a blood glucose meter, emergency sweets / muesli bar etc in your work clothes. You'll know about meal breaks, energy requirements etc, so thake those into account.
If you're on a basal bolus regime, it's relatively easy to cope with shift work - take basal doses at same time, boluses whenever you eat, day or night. If you're on a bimodal regime, it's more diffiucult, but not impossible to adjust.
Finally, if you find nights too difficult, at leats initially, you could ask HR / occupational health about a temporary change to day shifts.
Hope it all goes well.

I am on internal rotation so I do some nights. 3 a month is the usual all together. I keep the same basal insulin which I take at 10pm which is a couple of hours into my shift. i then snack during the night, I never know what time my break will be it can be from midnight to 4am, so don't have a 'meal' on my breask, sometimes i will have soup or something depending if i am hungry. I check my blood sugars every 2 hours or so. I use less/no novorapid to cover my snacks. I mainly want to avoid hypo's due to being much more active at a time when I'm usually asleep.

Hope it goes well

Many Thanks For Your Replies Copepod And Sofaraway You Have Been Very Helpful Will Take My Time And See How Things Go. I Am Due To See Occ Health Shortly So Hopefully Things Will Be Ok

Back