Working from home emergency procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am looking for examples of procedures that people use to make sure they work as safely as possible from home.
I work from home and live alone. I've been Type 1 for 15 years and its well controlled, but if I have a serious hypo or get into trouble I need to have a safety net in place in case I need medical assistance and am unable to ask for it myself. My employer has a duty of care and is very keen to agree a procedure with me. Does anyone know of any standard procedures which I could use or adapt please? Does Diabetes UK publish anything? Thanks in advance.

It's THEIR duty of course not yours so of course you'd like to help, but you don't HAVE to.

Anyone know anything that might help - cos I don't.

Let me call on @Gwen Diabetes UK to find out if DUK know of anything.

It's THEIR duty of course not yours so of course you'd like to help, but you don't HAVE to.

Anyone know anything that might help - cos I don't.

Let me call on @Gwen Diabetes UK to find out if DUK know of anything.
Thanks Jenny. I do have an interest too I guess the knowledge that if I do have a hypo and no one hears from me that someone would be on the way would be reassuring. I did think that I should clock in with my line manager every morning and if he hasn't heard from me by say 10am, he should implement a staged process of phone calls ie to my work phone, then my work mobile, then my personal mobile, then my next of kin, and if no response he should then call 999.

Technology may lend a hand here. The new Libre system, due soon, Is Bluetooth based and will have optional alarms. My intention is to tie it into my smartwatch, which already is set to alarm if it thinks I have had a fall. If I don’t respond to that alert, it contacts emergency services.

Though with the Libre system now, you can see hypos coming on and head them off, but that requires you to use the reader regularly.

Technology may lend a hand here. The new Libre system, due soon, Is Bluetooth based and will have optional alarms. My intention is to tie it into my smartwatch, which already is set to alarm if it thinks I have had a fall. If I don’t respond to that alert, it contacts emergency services.

Though with the Libre system now, you can see hypos coming on and head them off, but that requires you to use the reader regularly.
Thanks Mike That's really helpful. I currently use the Libre flash glucose patches so its good to know that there is an updated version expected soon. Now if only Theresa May could persuade the health secretary to release the block on NHS funding for the patches!

Aye, Philip, then when you’re working from home you can look out of the window watching porcine aerodynamics.:D

You could always get a pendant alarm, they are not just for falls but can be used to summon help at any time.

That requires consciousness, though. My watch doesn’t.

I am in a similar situation. I work from home two days a week, and my wife works full time, so I am on my own on those two days. The other three days I am at the office.

We have Skype for business, and one of the requirements is that we are available during vore hours. Skype signs out automatically after a period of inactivity on the laptop, and my colleagues know to keep an eye for me being signed on.

Would something like that help?

Thanks Mike That's really helpful. I currently use the Libre flash glucose patches so its good to know that there is an updated version expected soon. Now if only Theresa May could persuade the health secretary to release the block on NHS funding for the patches!
New guidelines for flash monitoring come out in April, and they'll basically become available on prescription to anyone Type 1 testing c.8 times a day or more. This is because it's been shown to be 'cost neutral' i.e. there will be savings on test strips used (you'll still need to test occasionally, of course, but my experience of the Libre led to a drastic reduction in blood tests), and these will offset the cost, plus there are clear additional benefits from the information the Libre can provide to reduce hypos, modify timing and dosage of insulin etc. 🙂 I've also just heard that the DVLA have agreed to accept Libre data in place of blood test data 🙂

New guidelines for flash monitoring come out in April, and they'll basically become available on prescription to anyone Type 1 testing c.8 times a day or more. This is because it's been shown to be 'cost neutral' i.e. there will be savings on test strips used (you'll still need to test occasionally, of course, but my experience of the Libre led to a drastic reduction in blood tests), and these will offset the cost, plus there are clear additional benefits from the information the Libre can provide to reduce hypos, modify timing and dosage of insulin etc. 🙂 I've also just heard that the DVLA have agreed to accept Libre data in place of blood test data 🙂
It’s good news about the Libre and the DVLA at last accepting it for driving.

Good to hear that Northerner.
If you have a link to the document could it be done as a new thread as more may see it. As I type this I suspect that you are way ahead of me and have already done this.

Well our IT systems in work, are the same as we have at home. The phone system shows you as idle after 15 minutes of no activity on your phone, there chat function too, so if you see some is idle you can message them rather than phone and disrupt. It also has settings for lunch etc, and we log out and in at the start/end of the day.

My OH works at home and their systems being under one of the big banking groups is much better, they have loads of things to monitor working at home, which they use to check people are working but also for safety.

So even with my total clueless answer on tech even I know there is many system type things employers can use in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back