Working abroard and Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura22

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This is only a general thought at the moment. I couldn't do it yet (I don't have a passport! 😛)

I've been working in childcare from around the age of 16 and even before then when my Mum was a childminder and I'd help her out everyday. Working with children is my "thing" and I feel I was born to do it. I love every aspect of childcare.

My mind has been wondering now for a few weeks about maybe working abroard over the summer. Somewhere in Europe like Spain or Greece. As a children's club representative. You know what I mean?

My main questions are:

1) Would I need a Visa if I am still working within Europe?

2) Would I need to take out medical insurance to cover Diabetes?

3) Would it be hard to adjust to a totally new culture/lifestyle?

As I said, I'm only generally wondering at the moment and maybe will look into this for next summer or the summer after though I really would like to give it a go.

Any help you can offer me will be greatly appreciated 🙂

hey, in 2007 i did Camp America and i also worked in Paris for PGL (you know the kids activity company?).

i didn't need a visa to work in Paris - call me ignorant but i'm assuming it's the whole EU thing? or at least i wasn't made aware that i needed one, the company may have sorted it out for me.

as for insurance, yes, yes yes. your E111 or whatever it's called nowadays will cover emergency treatment (see http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/diol1/doitonline/dg_4018163). which to me says that it will not cover you if you say...lost your insulin, or it got damaged due to heat, etc. there will be someone on here who knows the specifics much better than me.

i have the name of an insurance company i went through for Camp America who insured me for 1 year, trips up to 90 days long anywhere in the world, covered the d and only cost me ?90. that was 3 years ago but still, drop me a PM if you want it.

as for adjusting...i think like anything, it would take some time, but i think if you have the right attitude about it, you would be fine! i spent 3 months in america where i didn't know ANYONE and i was fine - my advice would be to always talk to someone about it if you're unsure about anything. i bottled a lot of stuff up at the beginning and i nearly left, but once i'd talked it through with someone, i felt a lot better and had an ace time.

hope that helps!

Hi Shiv,

I'd love to work in Paris but I can't speak French! lol.

I'll have to have a look into it. But as I said, only a thought for now!

Hi Shiv,

I'd love to work in Paris but I can't speak French! lol.

I'll have to have a look into it. But as I said, only a thought for now!

i didn't speak French - PGL is a British company, so all the kids coming were from England, and all the other staff were English except for the chef and the cleaners. so no worries there - but i did pick up some of the language! (and promptly forgot it all the second i stepped back into England)

As far as I know you only need a visa to work out side the EEC, but I think you may need some kind of doccumentation to say you are allowed to work with in the EEC. Places like America or Asia or the United Arab Emirates have different rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back