Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Evening everyone,
Type 1 diabetic for over 36 years needing some help…..I have an opportunity to work abroad (Saudi Arabia) for 1-3 years depending on my desire to see the project fully through. I have kids and will still be flying home to spend my time off with them every 3 months but I have concerns on my ability to take ‘X’ amount of insulin/tablets over with me and if I can get prescriptions over there easily.

If anyone has any info regarding this or a similar situation I’d be interested to know how it went and the challenges you faced?

Thanks in advance

I worked on placement in Europe (~25 years ago) and would get a job-lot of supplies prescribed by the GP (with some initial tooth sucking, but they eventually got on with it) and take them back with me when I popped home to see family (the hardest bit iirc was remote re-ordering as they originally wanted to see me in person for some reason, this is obviously no longer a problem with the interweb).

Three months' worth should be easy enough, I'm pretty sure I had more (four perhaps) month's worth prescribed so I had a bit of a buffer (and/or I may have started stockpiling before I left with the GP knowing this.)

Not sure what Saudi is like re availability. The company may also offer you health insurance which would cover resupply locally.

Check the Home Office website out re Saudi - often gives really useful info on such things elsewhere in the world.

If you’re going home every 3 months @Allan123 I’d hope you’d be able to pick up your next three months supply then. From memory, I think they can give up to 6 months of meds if you’re travelling, but it would be worth checking with your GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back