Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

busy65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, can anyone help me? I am facing the possibility of being dismissed from work, I am diabetic, basal bolus, two insulins, the company cleverly wants to dismiss me, but because I cannot walk because I have degeneration of my right hip, and they will use that as the main cause, not diabetes, or are they on the law?

Are you in a union @busy65 ? Do you think the real reason is the diabetes? What kind of job do you do?

I work repacking fruit, I have breaks at the same time and 10 minutes longer to take insulin.I am also a member of Unite

I think it would be wise to speak to Unite so you’re sure of your rights. Don’t agree to anything with work until you’ve spoken to them.

I work repacking fruit, I have breaks at the same time and 10 minutes longer to take insulin.I am also a member of Unite
Are you able to fulfill the main duties of your job?

You should definitely speak to your union rep as if nothing else they will be able to tell you what your rights are and you should be entitled to legal representation if needed.
Things which may impact on the outcome would be how essential being able to walk is for you to do your job and comply with health and safety policy. Do you use a wheelchair?
Is this something that will be permanent or only temporary whilst waiting for treatment.
It may also depend on how big the company is as that will affect what disability policy they must have and your union rep should know about that.
Could you do your job if reasonable adjustments were made.
I know the job I did would have been impossible without being able to walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back