Work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

minnie1995

Hello, I'm having a lot of trouble at work in regards to my diabetes. I've even had a letter from my doctor, and yet they are still arguing. The problem is I'm not asking for any ammendments either!

I was diagnosed when I was 18, I'm now 28. I've had 5 blood tests which have all been inconclusive as to which type I am, I'm showing traits of type one and type two. I was on oral medication, since having my child 5 years ago I have been using insulin. I've struggled since I was diagnosed to control my sugars so I have now been prescribed the libre and have since more than HALVED my hba1c. My blood sugars are however, still erratic.

Now my workplace, argued that I don't need to test my bloods at work. No extra time needed, a quick scan on my phone is all that's needed, I don't see the issue. My colleagues and children are aware, the children joke I am a robot! The issue is with the manager. I've a letter confirming I need to test. I get no time if I have a low, I'm expected to have a snack on me at all times in a pocket, and if I get a low, I'm expected to eat my snack and continue working, regardless of if I am shaking etc.

I had to speak to the manager again due to another health issue, however we spoke briefly about my diabetes as it could be related, and she told me I need to take more responsibility of my blood sugars. Getting low blood sugar is irresponsible. I really feel discriminated against and what doesn't help is there is another member of staff who is diabetic, who (if she gets a low) is allowed up to 30 minutes to sit in the staff room, to eat, test (also on libre) and have time to let her blood sugars come back up.

Is there anything I can do!! I've informed my union rep who doesn't really understand diabetes so isn't much help, and the doctors letter and notes have been ignored. She says she 'appreciates' what the doctor says.

Hello, I'm having a lot of trouble at work in regards to my diabetes. I've even had a letter from my doctor, and yet they are still arguing. The problem is I'm not asking for any ammendments either!

I was diagnosed when I was 18, I'm now 28. I've had 5 blood tests which have all been inconclusive as to which type I am, I'm showing traits of type one and type two. I was on oral medication, since having my child 5 years ago I have been using insulin. I've struggled since I was diagnosed to control my sugars so I have now been prescribed the libre and have since more than HALVED my hba1c. My blood sugars are however, still erratic.

Now my workplace, argued that I don't need to test my bloods at work. No extra time needed, a quick scan on my phone is all that's needed, I don't see the issue. My colleagues and children are aware, the children joke I am a robot! The issue is with the manager. I've a letter confirming I need to test. I get no time if I have a low, I'm expected to have a snack on me at all times in a pocket, and if I get a low, I'm expected to eat my snack and continue working, regardless of if I am shaking etc.

I had to speak to the manager again due to another health issue, however we spoke briefly about my diabetes as it could be related, and she told me I need to take more responsibility of my blood sugars. Getting low blood sugar is irresponsible. I really feel discriminated against and what doesn't help is there is another member of staff who is diabetic, who (if she gets a low) is allowed up to 30 minutes to sit in the staff room, to eat, test (also on libre) and have time to let her blood sugars come back up.

Is there anything I can do!! I've informed my union rep who doesn't really understand diabetes so isn't much help, and the doctors letter and notes have been ignored. She says she 'appreciates' what the doctor says.
You could try ringing the DUK helpline tomorrow as they will be able to advise you on your legal rights under the disability discrimination legislation as it applies to people with diabetes.
You could probably do with more support from your diabetes clinic to better manage your condition.
If you want advice and help form others on the forum then it will help if you say what insulin and medication regime you are on as it may be you need to tweak something there that will help your erratic blood glucose.

I'd also go to your union's Regional Office and ask for a staff rep to help.

Workplace reps are trained volunteers who do a brilliant job but have limited skills. A regional rep will support you - they don't need to understand diabetes- you have a letter from a medical professional who does understand your diabetes. The rep needs to remind your employer of their legal obligation to take that medical advice.

If your workplace is large enough to be unionised then presumably they also have an HR department? I would think a formal grievance needs to be raised but I'd suggest speaking with ACAS first. I'd also agree with @Catbanj about escalating up the union chain.

Why don’t you set the low alarm on your libre higher and treat before you’re low so that you don’t get to the point of shaking as much?

Why don’t you set the low alarm on your libre higher and treat before you’re low so that you don’t get to the point of shaking as much?
I wish it was that easy. Hypos don't always come on slow enough to be able to treat before getting too low especially when @minnie1995 has erratic blood sugars.
Unless you run your levels much higher all the time and risk future complications.

I think the minnie's problem is their manager who does not understand the challenges when managing diabetes (probably based on the friend of their great aunt three times removed with type 2 who runs high all the time) not their hypos.

I would second the suggest to call the Diabetes UK hotline (number at the top of the page).
They have a fair amount of information about employment rights which could be useful to share with your employer and union rep: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/employment

Ridiculous @minnie1995 ! Makes so angry! Diabetes is covered by law so you can’t be discriminated against. You’re on insulin, you need to test your blood sugar. Full stop. I’d be making an official complaint, mentioning they’re discriminating against you, and that they’re supposed to make “reasonable adjustments”. Those would be allowing you to test and allowing you time to treat a hypo and recover from it.

It’s just ignorance. I had a go at my work about this. You’d be surprised how well mention of discrimination and breaking the law helps!

Added to that, the fact another staff member with diabetes is permitted time to recover from hypos, just adds to the discrimination. You’d have a strong case in law - doubly so, in fact.

Maybe try a flanking manoeuvre and ask - with an innocent expression, how many people are trained to deal with a hypo of you were to collapse due to the rules you are required to follow.
'I would be unconscious and my life would be in danger in an extreme case, you know' just might get their attention.

Pah!! Our first aider once told me if anyone was collapsed on the floor she would step over them to reach the phone, dial 999 and that's her job done 100%. NO WAY EVER WAS SHE GOING TO TOUCH ANY UNWELL PERSON. I asked, So what on earth did you do when your kids were ill when they were little, then? Oh - B (her husband) always had to deal with them. Thank God you married him, for those kids sake then, thought I.

Why the hell did you ever agree to take on the role then? Oh, someone was needed to do it and no-one else volunteered so I agreed to do it.

Some employers are arseholes, full stop. But even if they are not as a company - it's still perfectly possible for one or more of their employees to be one if they decide to and reckon they'll easily get away with it!

Your task is to not let them get away with it, by using the advice you've been given.

When my daughter was at primary school, a lot of the staff seemed to think it was all a big fuss about nothing. Until she had one of those nasty hypos that takes more than one lot of glucose to resolve, and then all of a sudden it would dawn on them that it might actually be quite serious then… and they’d panic!
That can’t be the excuse at your place though, if they already have one diabetic who is treated correctly. Do they somehow think that her condition is different from yours? Or is it just blatant discrimination? Please do take it as high as you need to, and I hope you get it sorted. People can’t be allowed to get away with this and it’s infuriating that so many people who don’t understand diabetes, don’t seem to want to learn either. Good luck 🙂

Just out of interest- if something were to happen (ie. a nasty hypo) that affected you and your ability to do your job at that given moment and/or endangered others and they hadn’t given you those reasonable adjustments - would they then be in trouble?

Thank you all for your replies. The thi gs is I've not kicked up a fuss, I've tried explaining to the best of my ability, my colleagues within the classroom are fabulous, it's just this one lady who is unfortunately the manager. She is very rude and condescending, and I'm not the only one to say this unfortunately. She only has these comments when I'm alone with her, looking ahead, I will refuse to talk to her unless I have my union rep with me I am trying very hard with controlling my sugars, and to have someone tell me I'm irresponsible genuinely upset me. I suffer from anxiety, so talking with this lady really makes me feel rubbish as I panic and I don't think of responses until I've finished talking to her. It's like she is constantly trying to trip you up!

Don’t let her get to you @minnie1995 She’s showing her ignorance and probably picking on you because you’re a nice, polite person. Of course you won’t think of responses until afterwards because you’d wouldn’t think any normal person would say those things. It’s her not you.

It’s a good idea having your union rep with you, but I’d also consider making a complaint. People like her don’t stop. A sharp shock will make them. Get advice from your union about the best way to do this. She’s bullying you.

Hi @minnie1995 , do you know the other member of staff who has the appropriate arrangements in place for managing a hypo? Do they have the same amanager? It would be worth knowing how they achieved this.

I would also encourage you to get support from your union who will have dealt with smimlar issues many times before. They can help you plan a way forward, as the supination that you are in is rediculous. The manager is making decisions based on ignorance or as @helli says this is often based knowing someone who knows someone who had diabetes and managed perfectly well.

Let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back