Work want to speak to my GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwzero

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I was diagnosed in March of 2009. I'm doing well and my last HbA1c was 5.3.

I'm having a little hicup with work at the moment and I was hoping to get other people's opinions, or experiences. Sorry in advance for the essay.

Last Friday I was telephoned by work to ask if would do some remote work about a 5 hour drive from my house. The work was to take approximately 4 hours. I was also asked to do a second job on the way back, which was to take another 4 hours.

I called my Manager and told him that I was not happy about spending this long in the car, on top of a full working day, and he agreed to let me book overnight accommodation.

When I got back I was asked to a meeting in which my manager informed me he had been looking at employment law regarding the treatment of diabetics in the workplace but, that the information was very grey and unclear. Due to this reason he wished to ask my permission to contact my GP, to find out what the company can, or cannot ask me to do.

I've received a letter for me to sign asking for permission for the company to contact my GP in regard to my state of health.

I've explained in the meeting that I felt that the company should not be asking anyone to drive this far in one day and that I did not feel that my diabetes was a factor, although personally I would be concerned.

I've currently replied to the request stating that I do not fully understand the reason for the need to contact my GP.

As far as I'm concerned, if the company wishes to get advice, they can contact a third party and they have no reason to ask my state of health if the quality of my work is not in question.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I would greatly appreciate any comments.

Does your company have an occupational health department? I would have thought this is more relevant to them. I had an interview with Occ Health a few weeks ago and they just asked me if I had many hypos and if I was happy to work alone. They have got my GPs contact details so they could contact them, but I'd be a bit annoyed if they wanted to do that too, as I know far more than my GP about what my work involves and how I deal with my diabetes.

Thanks for the reply.

No, unfortunately we don't have an occupational health department. I've never really had any form of meeting with anyone at the company other than the week after I was diagnosed to give them information relating to hypos and how to recognise them.

That's a shame! Have you tried asking your DSN for advice? I know mine said that if I ever had any trouble with work she would be willing to ring them to explain things. They could maybe talk to your employer in a more impartial way about diabetes than allowing them to contact your GP to discuss your personal medical information.

OMG! This is a gross invasion of your privacy, NO, NO, NO!

I completely agree with you. I certainly would not sign that form.

My first port of call on this would probably be the diabetes UK careline who have advisors. Diabetes UK have a lot of available information on the work laws regarding what needs to be/or should be in place.

Have a look at their website as a first stop. There are some very well informed people on this forum, who Im sure if you hang fire will log on one by one throughout the evening with some information to offer!

By the way, welcome, and also a big congrats in a fantatsic HbA1c. Stay well.

Regards
Lou

Wooops! I just read that back and it looks like I mean Pigeon is not well-informed! Sorry Pigeon! No offense m'dear! x

None taken! Hadn't thought of suggesting DUK, that's a good idea.

Thanks, don't worry. I understood what you were saying 🙂

Speaking with my DSN is certainly a good idea. I'll be seeing them next week. I also wasn't sure if I could ring the careline for something like this. It seemed to be more for advice on care but, perhaps I may.

I think I'm going to hang fire on doing anything though until work next speak to me. I haven't actually had anyone from HR speak to me yet. I've asked for a meeting for them to explain what they are trying to acheive.

I'll keep you posted.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed in March of 2009. I'm doing well and my last HbA1c was 5.3.

I'm having a little hicup with work at the moment and I was hoping to get other people's opinions, or experiences. Sorry in advance for the essay.

Last Friday I was telephoned by work to ask if would do some remote work about a 5 hour drive from my house. The work was to take approximately 4 hours. I was also asked to do a second job on the way back, which was to take another 4 hours.

I called my Manager and told him that I was not happy about spending this long in the car, on top of a full working day, and he agreed to let me book overnight accommodation.

When I got back I was asked to a meeting in which my manager informed me he had been looking at employment law regarding the treatment of diabetics in the workplace but, that the information was very grey and unclear. Due to this reason he wished to ask my permission to contact my GP, to find out what the company can, or cannot ask me to do.

I've received a letter for me to sign asking for permission for the company to contact my GP in regard to my state of health.

I've explained in the meeting that I felt that the company should not be asking anyone to drive this far in one day and that I did not feel that my diabetes was a factor, although personally I would be concerned.

I've currently replied to the request stating that I do not fully understand the reason for the need to contact my GP.

As far as I'm concerned, if the company wishes to get advice, they can contact a third party and they have no reason to ask my state of health if the quality of my work is not in question.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I would greatly appreciate any comments.

Hi,

I agree with others. Be careful what you agree to until you're sure what the employer's agenda is. The only issue is that you can still carry out the work you have been employed to do. I'm no employment lawyer but i am type1 and run my own small business.

Personally, i have always worked long hours and always make sure i have everything i need in the car in case something unexpected happens. Everyone is different but i've always kept as quiet as possible about my diabetes, taking the view that people who don't understand it are likely to react in a negative way if i discuss it too much. Of course i make sure a few trustworthy people know what to do if i need help.

My advice is just keep good control and avoid situations where you could be 'embarassed'. Do a blood test before you go into a meeting or have to sit and talk to a client one to one for any length of time.Tell people what they need to know and no more.

Perhaps explaining a little of this to the H/R people will help and let them know there's nothing you cannot do with bit of forward planning.

Best of luck. Let us know what happens.

Ian

I believe it is unreasonable to ask anyone to drive five hours each way and carry out eight hours of work as well. Diabetic or not, overnight accommodation should have been arranged automatically. My late employers did this for any employee who was working more than two hours from their home or normal office location. I can see no reason why they need to speak to your GP and IMO you did the right thing by asking for clarification of their purpose. Even when they do explain, you are within your rights to refuse.

Because I had a lot of sickness over the last 18 months or 2 years my firm asked me to see the occupational health doctor and if they could contact my GP.

Seeing the occupational health people has given me a bit more freedom and has given my firm some guidleines to work with. I also had to have a work place assesment done, which didn't tell any of us anything we didn't already know.

I'm not sure if my GP was contacted or not. From personal experience, I have found it best policy to be honest and work with people. Over all I have had some ver positive responses from it all.

Sorry but being Diabetic isnt the issue here, professional drivers arent expected to grive 10 hours and do 8 hours work.

Personally i would phone ACAS, have a look on their website.

Who would be contacting the GP?? It has to be a health care professional, sometimes OH Dr's can work in your favour... Ask instead of contacting your GP to see the OH Dr, or they can pay for you to have a medical by an independant Dr but speak to ACAS and DUK first to see you legal stand on this!

Good luck
Julie

In a union???????....IMHO, they have no right, be careful!!!

I have given permission twice for a company to speak to my GP and would never ever do say again!!!!!!! In both cases information was misinterpreted and the manager(s) involved spoke with someone who knew better than the GP. In the first instance it got to the point where I threatened to report the doctor, that was spoken to after my GP, to the BMA for being an idiot! Grr!!!!!!!

As someone has stated diabetes is not the issue here it?s a H&S one, I run a team that are on the road a fair amount and we state that no one should be asked to drive more that 4 hours then conduct a full days work so we get them to book over night, and if that means two nights in a hotel for a days work so be it. I.e. a trip from Reading to Manchester, they would travel up the afternoon before stay the night next day do the work, depending on how long there day was and how they feel they may or may not spend another night there and drive back the following morning nice a fresh. I would rather spend a few extra pounds than take the risk of them being involved in a accident because they are tired. The 4 hours cam from the H&S team

If you had an accident after being told to drive that distance + doing a full days work your company would be in the crap with the H&S guys. Talk to them they have guide lines on what you are expected to do, that?s why HGV and PSV drivers can only do 8 hours behind the wheel

as for talking to your GP tell them to pi$$ off only the company Dr can do that and he still has to respect your confidence

I'd me contacting your union. They have a a wealth od advice on occupational health issues and will advise you what to do next in your particular case. Good Luck x

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I've yet to hear any more but, I'm sure it will be forthcoming.

I agree that this has nothing to do with Diabetes and I will be extremely careful in future not to bring it up.

Although I was concerned about being able to look after myself spending this long driving, I perhaps shouldn't have mentioned it.

You live and learn, I suppose.

I'll post when I hear any more.

It seems to me that you are being victimised purely because you're diabetic.

You were quiet rightly concerned about being made to spend so much time driving on top of all the extra work. For one thing you could have fallen asleep at the wheel and had an accident as a result of being over tired. So it is definately a H & S issue.

Would your boss have asked to speak to the GP of a non diabetic employee if they had raised the same concerns?

Maybe your boss should be reminded about the DDA.

Everyone seems to be agreed that this is an H&S issue and not a diabetes one. When they come back to you, you should shift the focus by pointing that out to them. This link leads to an article covering driving at work. There may be something useful in it that you can use.

Ahah! Read this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back