Work Stress Can Hike Diabetes Risk by Nearly Half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Experts say that now more than ever before, job stress poses a threat to the health of workers.

Although work-related stress has been known to increase risk of cardiovascular disease, the far-reaching effects of stress are still being uncovered as a new population-based German study finds evidence for a strong association between work stress and type II diabetes mellitus.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/08/11/work-stress-can-hike-diabetes-risk-by-nearly-half/73489.html

I think stress is also implicated in Type 1, I know that my work was very stressful in the lead up to my diagnosis.

My job was very stressful, and I'm sure it played a part in my immune system turning on me!

Mine definitely did, I've since (with my bosses support) instigated a mixture of controlling my workload with a sprinkling of not giving a toss 😉

Mine definitely did, I've since (with my bosses support) instigated a mixture of controlling my workload with a sprinkling of not giving a toss 😉

I like the sprinkling 🙂. My employer decided to relieve my stress by making me redundant some three weeks after I emerged from a coma, classy :D

That's terrible Kooky, I was really surprised with my employer. I thought that they'd do the same after my illness but they were really supportive. After a month off where I was under orders not to do anything, they gave me a return to work plan which ran for another month. This started at 2 hours a day and gradually ramped up to full time.

I guess I was just lucky, with both timing, they were laying off in other departments and also my boss has taken to mothering me and I think she enjoys it 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back