Work and breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milliebean96

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
I’m new to Diabetes UK and am type 2 for about 8 years.
My employers are making me take breaks and lunches at times which means I could be going 3 to 4 hours without a break. Can they do this?
I’ve never had this before as previous employers have let me take breaks every two hours to help me manage my sugar levels.

Hi @Milliebean96 and welcome to the forum

What is it that you need to do every two hours in order to manage your Diabetes?
An employee is required to make necessary changes, so it depends what it is that you need to do.

Hi @Milliebean96 and welcome to the forum

What is it that you need to do every two hours in order to manage your Diabetes?
An employee is required to make necessary changes, so it depends what it is that you need to do.
My employer sends me on breaks 15 minutes x 2 and half hour lunch all in a time space of about three hours when i’m working a nine hour shift. So this means i could be going for too long without a break. I was told by my diabetic nurse to eat regularly.

What medication are you taking which necessitates eating so often?

Hi all,
I’m new to Diabetes UK and am type 2 for about 8 years.
My employers are making me take breaks and lunches at times which means I could be going 3 to 4 hours without a break. Can they do this?
I’ve never had this before as previous employers have let me take breaks every two hours to help me manage my sugar levels.
Hi Millie. It may be worth speaking to our Advocacy Service about this. Under the Equality Act, employers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to support people with a disability in the work place. The Advocacy team would be happy to go into this in more detail with you, and give you some advice on how you can open up discussions with your employer. You can arrange for them to give you a call by calling the Supporter Care Team on 0345 123 2399 and asking for an advocacy referral. We also have an Advocacy Pack on employment and diabetes, which you might find useful. I've attached this for you. If I can do anything else to help please do let me know.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back