Woodworking Aprons.

Chris Hobson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As an aside to my woodworking thread. I decided that I was fed up with wriggling in and out of the boiler suit that I had been using as protective clothing while in the wood shop and so I decided to order a proper woodworking apron from Amazon. We used to have these at school, they had a loop at the top to go around your neck and a string to tie around your waist that wrapped around twice and tied at the front. My new apron is made of very robust material and has lots of pockets. The straps that hold it on do seem to be unnecessarily complicated. There are all kinds of sliding bits that need adjusting once you have it on, there is a cross over right in the middle of your back which you need an assistant to adjust for you as it is impossible for you to reach. Putting it on also involved tying a bow behind your back, apparently my mother in law has no problem when she puts her pinnie on. Anyway, my solution was to mark up all the sliding bits and put stitches in each to hold them in place and then add a pair of clickers like the ones that you get on bum bags so that I didn't have to tie the knot behind my back. So, after carrying out a few mods I'm happy with my new apron.

I bought a shoulder massager but in order to get it on it required much contorting which was impossible with the bad shoulders for which I had bought the device to help with. It needed a second person to get it on and off.

As an aside to my woodworking thread. I decided that I was fed up with wriggling in and out of the boiler suit that I had been using as protective clothing while in the wood shop and so I decided to order a proper woodworking apron from Amazon. We used to have these at school, they had a loop at the top to go around your neck and a string to tie around your waist that wrapped around twice and tied at the front. My new apron is made of very robust material and has lots of pockets. The straps that hold it on do seem to be unnecessarily complicated. There are all kinds of sliding bits that need adjusting once you have it on, there is a cross over right in the middle of your back which you need an assistant to adjust for you as it is impossible for you to reach. Putting it on also involved tying a bow behind your back, apparently my mother in law has no problem when she puts her pinnie on. Anyway, my solution was to mark up all the sliding bits and put stitches in each to hold them in place and then add a pair of clickers like the ones that you get on bum bags so that I didn't have to tie the knot behind my back. So, after carrying out a few mods I'm happy with my new apron.

I normally wear an old tee shirt or long sleeved Tee if I’m doing a project. I seem to remember a crude apron in woodwork at school. Sort of thing worn in a “slasher” movie? These modifications you did need a picture?

The straps go over the shoulders through two shoulder pads, cross over at the back, through two eyelets at the sides, and are then fastened at the back. Looking at the first picture it looks as though the cross piece should be slightly lower down. Note the Mog Bog and other kitty accessories in the background.

Back