WOO-HOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essex

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just got my first blood test results ready for my follow up appointment 6 months (+-) after realising that I had strayed into type II

HA1c 5.5 % / 37 mmol/mol
:D:D:D:D

That's lowest value since my records began in 2010! (see graph at end)

Because of my liver enzyme slight issues I had another raft of tests the day before and the HA1c was 5.9 % / 39 mmol/mol, so some scatter in results from this technique obviously - I'm going with the 5.5 / 37 values :D

Also, ALL my other values are back in range - liver values, cholesterol etc etc :D

So, THANK YOU!!!!!!! to all the wonderful people here who helped - actually, it was not just helped but showed me how, to achieve this

I haven't had a hypo for months and on the rare times that I prick my finger after stopping when levels were always in range, they are still in range (except when I eat something I shouldnt do regularly, like a birthday cake - but I am human - whatever my teenage daughter says)

All I did was reduce my carb intake (especially for breakfast) and generally eat more helthily and less, and I lost 12 kg (from 72 to 60 I'm 5´3") just by not being a gluton at the low end of the 'sloping table' at Portuguese family BBQ's etc

No strict diets or anything

Now, beans taste so sweet and peas are green drops from heaven (to paraphrase Charlie and Lola).
My tastes have changed so much - I can honestly say there isnt anything I miss out of the few things I dont eat now.

Realising that worrying about, for example, the exact type of rice etc was not the solution, but just eating half as much rice and more veggies etc was key.

I realise that my case was only a slight hop onto the wrong side of the tracks and that others have it much worse, but I just wanted to say thanks and to show that it doesnt have to be the end of the world
:D

1650785408159.png

Many congratulations and I am sure your success will help to inspire other newbies arriving at the forum full of worries and feeling overwhelmed, as most of us did. It really can end up being a positive getting a diabetes diagnosis by making you focus and take stock and improve your lifestyle, if you get the right advice to do so. Most importantly, you have to be willing to make some changes, which of course involves some considerable effort at first at least until you get into a new habit, so the credit is to you for wanting to change and then doing the work to effect it.

I really am absolutely delighted for you. Well done!

Well done!

Congrats well done to you

Realising that worrying about, for example, the exact type of rice etc was not the solution, but just eating half as much rice and more veggies etc was key.

You have encapsulated my feelings on diet in that one sentence, @Essex. I like simple, especially when it works!

Brilliant @Essex

Congratulations!! You have every right to feel proud of your achievements 🙂

Thanks
Actually, I dont feel proud since it really wasnt that difficult at all - and absolutely nowhere near as hard as I thought :D
Without this forum it would have been difficult tho.

You people are the ones who should be proud :D

Congratulations @Essex on your brilliant achievement!!!:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back