Women with PCOS ‘more likely to develop type 2 diabetes’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Mad Ronin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Young women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) have a significantly higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes, compared to those without the condition, suggests new research from Monash University, Australia.

Over 6,000 women - 500 of whom had PCOS - aged between 25 and 28 were involved in the study. The results revealed that the incidence and prevalence of type 2 diabetes was three to five times higher in women with the condition.

Perhaps the most significant finding was that obesity - a key trigger of type 2 diabetes - was not related to the onset of the disease in women with PCOS.

Professor Helena Teede believes the findings could have significant implications for diabetes screening, as well as for the care of women with PCOS.

She added: “Type 2 diabetes itself is preventable, as are diabetes complications, but only if people at risk of or who have diabetes are screened, aware and take preventative action.

“With the dramatic rise in diabetes, this research highlights the need for greater awareness and screening, especially in high risk groups including young women with PCOS.”

From Spire Healthcare

She added: “Type 2 diabetes itself is preventable, as are diabetes complications, but only if people at risk of or who have diabetes are screened, aware and take preventative action.

The Professor should know better than to make such sweeping generalisations, neither are wholly preventable you can just reduce risk :(

I know, i was shocked by her saying that but the rest of the information i agree with. It's how i found out i had diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back