Women told not to skip insulin jabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
(Australia)

WA health experts are worried that a third of young women with diabetes risk limb amputation and kidney failure by skipping their insulin to stay slim.

Diabetes WA says diabetes is Australia's fastest-growing chronic illness, with almost one million people diagnosed, and insulin manipulation is one of the most common eating disorders in people with type 1 diabetes.

Known by some as "diabulimia", it involves limiting or skipping insulin injections to lose weight, which puts the body into starvation mode and results in muscle and fat breaking down and weight loss.

Research suggests 30 per cent of girls and women with type 1 diabetes restrict their insulin at some time in their lives, trebling their risk of early death.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/12943152/women-told-not-to-skip-insulin-jabs/

so let me get this straight.... people are basically poisoning themselves with high sugar to lose weight........

so let me get this straight.... people are basically poisoning themselves with high sugar to lose weight........

People do some terrible things to themselves to lose weight or avoid gaining it.

It's more widespread than many would believe.

Rob

This is why I am running the Bath Half Marathon in support of DWED - Diabetics With Eating Disorders - it's a very small charity that is desperately needed.

Did you know it's Eating Disorder Awareness week next week btw ?🙂

Rob

This is why I am running the Bath Half Marathon in support of DWED - Diabetics With Eating Disorders - it's a very small charity that is desperately needed.

good for you, yep i had never heard of the charity before i joined this site,

good for you, yep i had never heard of the charity before i joined this site,

It's a very worthy, and seriously underpublicised, cause and what Northerner's doing will be a tremendous help to fund DWED and bring it to the fore.🙂

Rob

i'm gonna make it my mission to try and spread the word about it a bit ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back