Woman visits casualty 500 times in a YEAR as depth of A&E woes are exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Stark figures reveal some patients are attending accident and emergency departments hundreds of times each year.

One woman went to casualty at the Queen Elizabeth in Gateshead nearly 500 times last year - more than once a day.

The 29-year-old visited 483 times up to the second week in November. It is believed to be the highest number of visits by any patient in Britain.

But she is just one of hundreds visiting A&E dozens, or even hundreds, of times a year.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nhs-crisis-woman-visits-casualty-4959373

Perhaps she worked there! 🙂

There should be a guard at the door of all A&E depts. with two simple questions to ask each person.
Accident or Emergency?
I suspect 90% would then be shown the exit.
Were I live A&E is roughly 30 miles away, we do have minor injury (MIU) based at the local cottage hospital.
Perhaps have a MIU attached to all main A&E depts., this would then solve a lot of the problems.

They could put a couple of GP's on the entrance to A&E and make them responsible for who is admitted and who gets to visit the pharmacy.

I don't think keeping every GP surgery open all hours would work or be necessary but making all of them do just one shift a month at the local A&E could work in every bodies favour.

They could put a couple of GP's on the entrance to A&E and make them responsible for who is admitted and who gets to visit the pharmacy.

I don't think keeping every GP surgery open all hours would work or be necessary but making all of them do just one shift a month at the local A&E could work in every bodies favour.

Wouldn't want them getting cold would you, keep them inside (it's called Triage I think).

Reminds me of when my mother-in-law was waiting in A&E after having broken her arm. My daughter was working in the hospital at the time (doctor)and someone told her her gran was in A&E. my daughter, white coat and stethoscope went rushing into the waiting area and in a load voice said to her gran - Now what have you done this time. Some very frightened patients waiting there. Could be a tactic employed to get rid of time wasters.

I think some A&Es have started doing this, makes sense 🙂 Unless they get lots more GPs they can't possibly keep the surgeries open longer. Another thing I heard the other day was that around 500 UK-trained A&E staff have gone to work in Australia - still in A&E, because that's what they enjoy - but without the insane pressures they are getting here. Throwing money at A&E is not going to solve the problem if you can't retain the staff :(

Slight problem GP's are very over worked as it is.

are they? that isn't the impression I get.

My GP rang me the other evening at 7.30pm with test results, he had just finished evening surgery, he had also worked for 11 hours without a break and still had more calls to make.

My GP rang me the other evening at 7.30pm with test results, he had just finished evening surgery, he had also worked for 11 hours without a break and still had more calls to make.

Then you have found a good one.

All the doctors at the surgery I use have gone by 5 o'clock and don't start before half 8. They are also never seen on a weekend.

Just had a look online for some statistics but for some reason the only ones I can find are from 2007.
http://www.hscic.gov.uk/pubs/gpworkload

Last edited:
I know the Qe in Gateshead has got a good name but there is a prob there :(

Then you have found a good one.

All the doctors at the surgery I use have gone by 5 o'clock and don't start before half 8. They are also never seen on a weekend.

Just had a look online for some statistics but for some reason the only ones I can find are from 2007.
http://www.hscic.gov.uk/pubs/gpworkload

So when do you think they do house calls, write letters to consultants sort out blood test results?
Sorry but I think you have a very blinkered view of how many hours GP's work or even what is involved in their work :(

So when do you think they do house calls, write letters to consultants sort out blood test results?
Sorry but I think you have a very blinkered view of how many hours GP's work or even what is involved in their work :(

I agree, I really don't think that being a GP is a cushy number at all, I couldn't do it. My surgery is open 8-6 and is always extremely busy. It's a well-run practice and I'm lucky to have it as mine - the one that I went to when I had the skin cancer problem wasn't anywhere near as good, limiting patients to 10 minute consultations and 1 ailment per appointment! 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back