Witlow. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfree

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had to go to emergency doctor tonight. I have a terribly swollen, and red, top portion of my thumb. I think my fall downstairs, 3 weeks ago, started it off. It really hurts badly. After a stand off with the doc, about me being type 1. He said he didn't think I was because I've only had it for 5 years and people don't get type 1 at my age. Duuurrr!! He said he was interested in d, but he didn't know anything about pumps or carb counting. Anyway he looked at my thumb and said it was a witlow. He put me on anti-biotics and said if it doesn't clear in a couple of days I will have to have it cut open and drained. Does anyone know of anything that will help.

A brick?😱

Sorry your thumb is sore - antibiotics will do the trick - but might send your levels up though so lots more testing. Its a good job you hadnt gone to this GP when you were diagnosed isnt it.😱🙂Bev

When I've had similar things on my toes what I've found helps is to squeeze all the muck out every day and to have a plaster over it with something called Magnesium Sulphate on the wound. This seems to work for me.

Tom

I'm sorry to hear about your hand, and the doctor, well I wont go there.

If you are worried, there is nothing to stop you going to see your usual doctor, and he may even have a different perspective on it.

Well I had never heard of a Whitlow until yesterday, and tonight there was a question on Mastermind about it! Serendipity! 😱

Hope things are looking better today 🙂

I had a witlow on my index finger a few years ago , my GP got out a specail needle and sory of pierced it under the nail put because of the pressure the relief was immediate , it had actually stopped hurting by the time i had left to docs , was also given antibiotics too

I had a witlow on my index finger a few years ago , my GP got out a specail needle and sory of pierced it under the nail put because of the pressure the relief was immediate , it had actually stopped hurting by the time i had left to docs , was also given antibiotics too

yes my husband had the same and had to have needle under the nail and he said the same relief imediate. Hope it gets better soon for you, antibiotics will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back