Withheld Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I really hate these as you never know if the call is genuine or a scammer when you first answer. Yesterday whilst at an OPA I had three missed ones in a 15 minute time slot. No message was left but as they came close together I decided someone must be trying to contact me. I tried the GP and diabetes clinic but it was not them. After waiting all day today got my Covid autumn (!) booster it never happened so imagine it was what yesterday's calls related to. But why no message and why no call today?

I really hate these as you never know if the call is genuine or a scammer when you first answer. Yesterday whilst at an OPA I had three missed ones in a 15 minute time slot. No message was left but as they came close together I decided someone must be trying to contact me. I tried the GP and diabetes clinic but it was not them. After waiting all day today got my Covid autumn (!) booster it never happened so imagine it was what yesterday's calls related to. But why no message and why no call today?
Most of the scam calls we get these days have a 'spoofed' number, ie one that looks genuine but isn’t. The only calls I get with Witheld numbers are things like the Medical centre, and fortunately last time they rang they left a message. No details, of course, because of confidentiality, just a request to contact the practice.

I'm forever getting calls starting in 0843 or 0845 but a different number every time, the phone rings once and then says missed call. Blocking them is no good as they are all different numbers.
They are on my mobile.

Last edited:
I have a system which requires someone to speak before a call comes through. It has cut out all the worst offenders and has made such a difference to me.
My husband never appreciated how many calls I got every day until he retired, despite me sometimes being in tears when he came home from the constant bombardment. As soon as he was at home all the time I left him to cope with the calls and in a week we had a set of new phones and - at long last - peace.
The phones, and I assume the service are from BT.

Just ignore them. If it was the GP or hospital trying to urgently contact you they’d have left a voicemail asking you to call them back.

Have a look at this website @MikeyBikey I've used it for years https://who-called.co.uk/ It's from the app store for android and iPhone I have it on my laptop too. Worth downloading the app IMO.

Last edited:
I had a Google pixel phone last time and it had this fabulous screen calls feature. If genuine the caller would say who they were and hold on. If a scammer, they hung up.

Just ignore them. If it was the GP or hospital trying to urgently contact you they’d have left a voicemail asking you to call them back.
But that assumes that there is that option - I've never had it.

Not sure what you mean, the option for voicemail is pretty standard?

Most of the time I don't answer even if I do know who it is. I hates phones. I'm a Luddite, technology is a hassle, supposed to make our lives easier, sometimes it really does not. 🙂

Voicemail is more to do with your contract rather than the phone itself, if you get in touch with whoever your contract is with they should be able to help you. As @Lucyr says, it should be pretty standard these days.

Are there any contracts without voicemail? Even my PAYG phone had voicemail. Usually the issue is it’s just not been switched on/set up.

Not sure what you mean, the option for voicemail is pretty standard?
If Drummer is talking about a BT landline, unless you subscribe to their 1571 service, it doesn’t come as standard, you pay so much a month extra. We still have an answerphone to record our messages!

If Drummer is talking about a BT landline, unless you subscribe to their 1571 service, it doesn’t come as standard, you pay so much a month extra. We still have an answerphone to record our messages!
We have something similar with Talk Talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back