WITCH HUNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalangels

My type 2 diabetes is back to being uncontrollable again. No matter what meds I get after a couple of months it stops working and my readings are high. With jabs before bed they usually read about the same the next morning. Round about HI to 22 plus. My surgery has sent different nurses to check that my husband is administering the jabs correctly. All 10 of them say that he is. At Addenbrookes they gave me a different medication but now it has stopped working. They have checked the 'technique' and my husband is doing it correctly' Now they want me to fast in January before an appointment and then added 'to make sure that the insulin is being correctly administered'. How many times do they have to check this? I am so tired of this. A five hour round trip and petrol costs on a pension to basically watch my husband jab me is embarrassing not to mention painful and I am needle phobic. My diet is careful most of my food pleasure now gone. I am also rapidly losing weight. But no one is concerned about that. I was 11st 4lbs 3 years ago had a stroke and lost over a stone. Since then blamed on my kidneys turning my muscles to water to shed excess sugar from my body I now weigh 8st 3lbs and still losing. They have not taken into consideration this weight loss, or checked my kidneys. I pee every hour day and night but they have not checked my bladder. I have lesions on my pancreas but this has never been discussed. My pancreas has not been checked even though my diabetes worsened after getting my gall bladder removed. Instead the doctors are hell bent on a witch hunt to prove that my husband is not administering my jabs correctly. I don't want to ever go back there. Any comments or advice will be welcome. Anyone else having these problems? If I keep losing weight I expect to be dead by Christmas as my legs won't hold me up and even my cardigan is too heavy for me to lift and put on. No one else in my family has diabetes. I'd give anything for a cup of tea with sugar in it. Thank you for reading this.

Hi Crystal,

That sounds very stressful. How much insulin (and which insulins) are you taking?

Hi crystal angel here. Thank you so much for replying. I am taking novorapid-quick acting 20 units plus corrections three times a day and Lantis solo star 36 units twice daily, morning and evening.
cheers

Sorry to hear you are having such a stressful and difficult time getting your insulin doses balanced with your body’s needs.

Good to hear you are on multiple daily injections, as this is the most flexible insulin system for T2s and should be able to be adjusted to suit you.

The stress of it, and your needle phobia, could well be contributing to the chaos unfortunately, in that some people find stress can raise their BG, while others find find it makes them drop!

Have you seen what happens when you skip a meal, and only your Lantus is active? This can be a very effective way to check whether your ‘background insulin’ is enough to hold your levels steady when you don’t have any meal insulin (or meal carbs) active.

Another possibility, is perhaps to try different meal and background insulins, just in case the ones you are on aren’t right for you?

Hi @crystalangels This sounds awful for you! I agree with @everydayupsanddowns that a basal test would be a good idea. It would give you some information and help towards working out what’s going on. I also agree that swapping insulins would be a sensible thing to try.

Interestingly, you say your medication works initially, then stops working after a couple of months or so. This must be a clue as to what’s happening. Did your insulin work to start with? If it did, did things gradually deteriorate or was your blood sugar suddenly high? Could it be an absorption issue? Where on your body are you having the injections? How long have you had Type 2 and how long have you been on insulin?

Thank you for replying. Been on various insulin for about 6 years. All start ok then slow down being effective. Before that tried Metformin but it gave me severe stomach pains and diahorrea. Yesterday went to bed at ten. HIGH -7 a.m. still high and then at 9 crashed. Can drop to 2.9 with no obvious cause. However, just clicked-did not pee every hour day and night until on last insulin given about 4 months ago. Blaming insulin for that. Have had type 2 for 18 years. Insulin works then slowly deteriorates. Hospital blaming husband who does my jabs as I am needle phobic. As I said he has been checked administering it by 10 nurses and 2 consultants and all say he is doing it right but as they can't come up with anything else are blaming him. Don't want to go back there any more. Diagnosed overseas BAe about 2002 but when returned to uk was told didn't have diabetes. Then 3 years later after a routine blood test they decided that I did. Previous insulins the same. Husband says that I am an enigma. Jabs in stomach as directed by diabetes nurse. Anywhere else too skinny to try. I can drop to about 18 asleep then get up for the loo and my sugars escalate to 25/26 Thought that it would be the other way around.

Sorry to hear you are having such a stressful and difficult time getting your insulin doses balanced with your body’s needs.

Good to hear you are on multiple daily injections, as this is the most flexible insulin system for T2s and should be able to be adjusted to suit you.

The stress of it, and your needle phobia, could well be contributing to the chaos unfortunately, in that some people find stress can raise their BG, while others find find it makes them drop!

Have you seen what happens when you skip a meal, and only your Lantus is active? This can be a very effective way to check whether your ‘background insulin’ is enough to hold your levels steady when you don’t have any meal insulin (or meal carbs) active.

Another possibility, is perhaps to try different meal and background insulins, just in case the ones you are on aren’t right for you?
Hi @crystalangels This sounds awful for you! I agree with @everydayupsanddowns that a basal test would be a good idea. It would give you some information and help towards working out what’s going on. I also agree that swapping insulins would be a sensible thing to try.

Interestingly, you say your medication works initially, then stops working after a couple of months or so. This must be a clue as to what’s happening. Did your insulin work to start with? If it did, did things gradually deteriorate or was your blood sugar suddenly high? Could it be an absorption issue? Where on your body are you having the injections? How long have you had Type 2 and how long have you been on insulin?

Thank you so much for replying. If I miss a meal or jab-chemist ran out-my sugars are no different to when I use jabs or don't have a meal. Feel sick a lot. So jabs no good as far as I can see. Told to see a psychologist about my needle phobia made me worse just thinking about it. Diabetes consultant so rude to me called big baby as they have to use butterfly for blood tests and only then if I can go through with it. Very nice kind nurse at surgery. Am 71 and afraid. don't need this disrespect. Have lesions on my pancreas caused by NHS operation could these affect it but no one is interested. I am stressed very easily at the moment.

So frustrating for you @crystalangels ! Diabetes is bad enough without unpredictable blood sugars. One suggestion - avoid your stomach. Mine is very erratic and I no longer use it. I’m very slim too but anywhere is better than my stomach. What length needles do you have? Does your husband ‘pinch up’ before injecting you?

If I were you, I’d definitely try a different injection site. Thighs, bum or even arms.

So frustrating for you @crystalangels ! Diabetes is bad enough without unpredictable blood sugars. One suggestion - avoid your stomach. Mine is very erratic and I no longer use it. I’m very slim too but anywhere is better than my stomach. What length needles do you have? Does your husband ‘pinch up’ before injecting you?

If I were you, I’d definitely try a different injection site. Thighs, bum or even arms.
A special thank you to everyone who has offered their advice for my type 2 insulin problems. There may yet be light at the end of the tunnel. Although not common there appears to be an antibody carried by some people which inhibits the absorption of insulin making doses either inactive or mostly inactive. This was in my letter from addenbrookes, however, there seems to be no plan at the moment to test me for it. My next appointment is not until January so please cross your fingers for me.. Once again thank you to all my friends out there who have listened and offered advice. Iam going to fully research this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back