Winter Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchy0804

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am sure that I'm not alone with this question and would be really interested to see what others have done or recommend - I always get a bad cold or cough (that very often moves to a nasty chest infection) during the winter and I wanted to know if there is any preventative measures or remedies that I could be taking in the winter to help combat this. As my immune system is not like a normal persons the bugs seem to last ages and it is a real downer!!

Many thanks
Mark Finch

Welcome @Finchy0804 🙂 Winter colds and viruses are a total pain. Apart from making sure you’ve had your flu vaccination, avoiding people with colds as much as possible is sensible. I also take an effervescent Zinc and Vitamin C tablet at the first hint of an impending cold and continue that daily. Vitamin D helps too.

Sorry to hear about your nasty colds @Finchy0804

I think lots of us are a bit off our game when it comes to colds and flu as the social distancing / handwashing precautions that were widespread over the past few years seemed to reduce the infections that many people had. Plus of course widespread mask wearing meant people weren’t breathing out so many illnesses.

There seem to be some real clangers in circulation this year, with a flu-like thing having just laid siege to our house that I was able to dodge thankfully.

Have you ever been a smoker? Or had breathing problems like asthma? That seems to increase the risk of coughs becoming chest infections.

I guess eating well, keeping up with vitamins, plenty of fresh air and handwashing plus keeping away / apart from people are all going to help?

Sorry to hear about your nasty colds @Finchy0804

I think lots of us are a bit off our game when it comes to colds and flu as the social distancing / handwashing precautions that were widespread over the past few years seemed to reduce the infections that many people had. Plus of course widespread mask wearing meant people weren’t breathing out so many illnesses.

There seem to be some real clangers in circulation this year, with a flu-like thing having just laid siege to our house that I was able to dodge thankfully.

Have you ever been a smoker? Or had breathing problems like asthma? That seems to increase the risk of coughs becoming chest infections.

I guess eating well, keeping up with vitamins, plenty of fresh air and handwashing plus keeping away / apart from people are all going to help?
Many thanks, some very good general advice in there which can easily be overlooked, I'll make sure I pick up on those. I've never smoked or had asthma but seem to have a bit of a weakness with a cough going down on my chest and it lasts for ages!! Thanks again.

I have this almost every year. Some years it is around 5 days of being unwell, others (like this) it lasted for 3 weeks, with trips to A&E, phone appointments with my GP and also my DSN. I was asthmatic as a kid and any cold/ flu/ virus heads straight to my chest causing breathing difficulties.

I take vitamin D throughout the year as blood tests have shown it to be naturally low in my system. I try to have 'additional' vitamin C too, especially during the winter months (bought a dozen huge oranges from Costco prior to Christmas and one of those mid morning seemed to make me feel significantly better).

My issue is with employer/ colleagues who don't understand the impact that illness has on me compared to those without underlying conditions. "But why aren't you setting cover work each day like everybody else?" - "My GP has told me under no circumstances should I work when signed off as the additional stress is playing havoc with my blood glucose and exacerbating the illness".

Hi , Recently I have started feeling cold ( internal and external temperature not an issue ) and yesterday after long walk was very stiff.

Never been stiff after along walk before , any thoughts ?

I am sure that I'm not alone with this question and would be really interested to see what others have done or recommend - I always get a bad cold or cough (that very often moves to a nasty chest infection) during the winter and I wanted to know if there is any preventative measures or remedies that I could be taking in the winter to help combat this. As my immune system is not like a normal persons the bugs seem to last ages and it is a real downer!!

Many thanks
Mark Finch
As others have said, consider vitamin D. Pretty much everyone in the UK probably needs a supplement in the winter months (certainly north of Birmingham it isn't possible for anyone to make it October - March, so unless you are someone who is outside a lot in the summer, and we have had lots of sun, you may well not have stored enough for the whole winter. Skin colour also has an impact - the darker your skin, the harder it is for your body to make vitamin D.)

Vitamin D is important for the immune system as well as calcium absorption, so if you are low then you would be more likely to catch viruses etc. The last I heard on the recommended intake for general use (those diagnosed as low are often prescribed higher doses) is double the old RDA.

Hello and welcome @Finchy0804 🙂

Can't help as I've had a cough since April which has been horrendous over the Winter. I've tried everything I think. On the Covonia now with a clove of raw garlic swallowed with water daily. What can it hurt? Daughter has refused to shop with me if I keep eating so much garlic. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back