Wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauldogs_0

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I heard a while back that wine might be helpful in putting type 2 diabetes in to remission. I wondered if anyone knows if this could be true. If it is, is it white wine or red? Alcoholic or non alcoholic? Standard or dry?

Please, if you can advise me just reply to this post.

I heard a while back that wine might be helpful in putting type 2 diabetes in to remission. I wondered if anyone knows if this could be true. If it is, is it white wine or red? Alcoholic or non alcoholic? Standard or dry?

Please, if you can advise me just reply to this post.

No.
It's nonsense.
Alcohol can lower levels, though, as alcohol inhibits glucose production in the liver.

Wine is one of the better drinks to have as part of your chosen dietary regime as it is one of the lower carb alcoholic drinks as well as spirits with diet mixers. But not as a replacement for a sensible dietary approach.

I was looking for a DUK response to a research study from 2017, but it’s proving tricky to track down as search engines don’t seem to have reindexed it

1703197137792.jpeg

But unfortunately that link doesn’t make it to the newly rearranged ‘news and views’ section.

The closest I could find was this reference to risk:

Alcohol

Drinking too much alcohol is associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Current guidelines recommend not regularly drinking more than 14 units per week and that these units should be spread evenly over 3-4 days.

Drinking heavily on one or two days per week will also increase the risk of other health conditions such as certain types of cancer. Evidence seems to show drinking in moderation is associated with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back