Wine correcting??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossi_mac

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Right I've been trying to fine tune things especially the evening part of the day, to help the start of the day start righter!

When I do test in the evening I never normally correct unless over ten.

Tonight I just tested after taking my levemir, I was eight two, and have taken one unit for correction, but the thing is I've probably had half a bottle of wine. I had a small packet of crisps to help soak up some of the booze earlier.

Would you have taken a correction?

Dafne rules are not to correct after alcohol so generally in theory I don't correct. However if I'm particularly high I will. How high tends to depend on how much I've had to drink. I know for me a glass or two of wine won't really drop me overnight so I'm more likely to correct. If I've drunk a lot more I do drop overnight so wouldn't correct unless I was scary high. Think it's one of those things that comes down to experience and knowing personally what alcohol does to you, which means you need to experiement 😉

hehe experiments!!! Cheers Aymes. I'm just glad I'm testing after dinner !! grabbing the bull by it's horns😛

well, i drink blue wkd so i basically need to take insulin with evey drink!! lol
If it were to sit on 8/9 the whole time i was drinking id just leave it tho as for some unknown reason my bm likes to go low thru the night after i have been drinking!
Its like having lucozade for a hypo, u know its goin to make ur bm higher but u still need to eat something carby in order for it to stay up and not drop again!
Its funny being a diabetic sometimes, I have had diabetes for 21 years and still no where near knowing everything I should know lol 🙄

I thought id mention im preggo just now so am not currently partaking in the old alcohol drinking haha
(im dying for a blue wkd tho 😛)

What??? Lou - an HbA1c of 4.1?????!!!!😱 That's scary low!

Aymes, FGS don't tell Rossi to start experimenting with wine!

Rossi - I wouldn't have corrected under 10 b efore bed, especially after a drink - but I doubt une demi bouteille will affect you a great deal. I was explaining to my friends this evening about how alcohol 😱is a 'glucose suppressant' and we concluded I should just keep drinking all the time to stop my levels rising, then I could have more crumble...:D

yes i know its low, my body thinks i have dka at 6.9 these days i think hehe 2 weeks and i shall be returning to human type levels (woohoo)🙄

Personally I wouldn't correct an 8.2 after alcohol. But I would correct a 12+ and I did so earlier after a couple of pints. I also took a couple more units to cover some snacking I just did, oops!

Lou, can't believe you drink WKD! I don't think i'd stay within decent levels even if I was taking insulin for it 😱

I also wouldn't get drunk:D

lol im a lightweight, im a fan of malibu as well haha or bailies with creme de menthe, hmmmm im so needing not to be preggo now coz i think ive just realised how much I would love one of those haha😱

hehe yeah they are nice. If you haven't already, you should try Amaretto 🙂

my sis drinks that, she loves it! never tried it tho! so weird considering the amount of bar work ive done in this lifetime haha

Well here I am! half a bottle isn't much more than a BIG glass, and as no carbs in wine I decided the reading wasn't false! I did stick 1 unit in, and have woken at a very respectable five four, so Rossi is good! Cheers peeps.

I also wouldn't tend to correct a reading of 8 - 10 especially after wine. In fact I probably wouldn't correct a higher reading if I'd been drinking wine or spirits. I would tend to inject if drinking beer though, only a unit per pint or two though, more carbs in beer!

I had 4 glasses of wine and two beers last night and went to bed with no correction on 11.1 - woke this morning on 4.9!🙂

Well Rossi,

I think this needs some serious research as there are numerous variables such as body mass, M/F, amount of alcohol consumed, etc. It will probably require one evening a week for three months to do properly (and that is just the wine!). This will require some detailed planning. Do you want to do the requirements specification? I can see the volunteers arriving already; a truly dedicated group of individuals!

Cheers,

Falcon

Cheers all,

Good point Michael, I've applied for some funding ofr this research from both Europe and the moon, I'll keep you posted.😉

I wouldn't have corrected. I seem to drop after alcohol and being 8 wouldn't have been high enough for me after drinking, I usually get to the 20's then drop down over night.
I wouldn't correct unless above 12 before bed personally without drinking, but i don't correct very often.

happy experimenting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back