Windy problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozziemum

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have newly diagnosed type 2, and am having very bad indigestion taking Metformin, I am taking the tablets in the middle of food. Has anyone found anything that helps with this problem. My Doc says I have to stick with Metformin.

Hi Ozziemum, welcome to the forum! I don't take metformin myself, but I know that this is a very common side effect. With most people I believe that the problem settles down after a week or two. If not, there is an alternative 'slow-release' version of the drug which has proved better for those not suited to the ordinary stuff. The ordinary version is cheaper, so this is probably whyt your doctor has asked you to stick with it for now, to see if the side-effects ease after a couple of weeks - which I hope it does for you!🙂

Hello Ozziemum and welcome to the club no-one really wants to join.

I too found that I had dreadful wind when I started on the ordinary Metformin, along with the usual side effect of upset tum. I stuck with it for a very short while and then asked my Dr for the slow release version Northerner has told you about above and it was an immediate success - so when you can, I would ask for that one. Some others on here have posted that there is a liquid version too which is less upsetting to sensitive tums.

On the other hand Metformin certainly worked with helping to control my blood sugar levels, Good luck with the treatment, Faith

Hi Ozziemum

Welcome to the forum...the large extended family.🙂

Can't really say any thing other then what Northerner and Vince13 have. Although my son (Nathan 14) who his type 1 also suffers from the same.

Heidi
x🙂

hi ozziemum and a warm welcome to the forum , I can only say that my main issue with metformin is muscle pain across my shoulder abd very mild wind but nothing new for me i have always been a smelly mare

Thanks to everyone, if problem persists will ask about slow release Metformin. I am really grateful for advice.

It takes time for your body to get used to the reduced suagr levels and the new tablets. Persevere if you can as the problem does settle after a while. I found taking about 10-20 minutes after I have finished eating helps. As long as there is food in your stomach there should not be too many problems.

The severity of metformin side effects is related to the amount of carbohydrate you eat, particularly starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, pastry.

Reduce the amount of carbs you eat while the body gets used to it and the side effects will be minimised.

And your BGs will be massively improved from not eating shedloads of carbs in the first place (carbs raise BG).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back