Will this length of time between my breakfast and lunch be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had breakfast at 10am then we decided on a Sunday dinner which is going to be ready in the next 15 minutes - 4:15pm.

I'll be having a sandwich around 7:30 - 8pm ish.

I had breakfast at 10am then we decided on a Sunday dinner which is going to be ready in the next 15 minutes - 4:15pm.

I'll be having a sandwich around 7:30 - 8pm ish.
What would be your concerns with having a 6hr15 gap between breakfast and dinner?

I've sometimes missed lunch and had an early tea if i've had a late breakfast or not been hungry. I've never had any problem but we're all different. Just keep an eye on your levels.

What would be your concerns with having a 6hr15 gap between breakfast and dinner?
Hi @Lucyr my concern or worry is it is advisable to go for a long period of time between meals other than the recommended 4 hours and also I need to fit in 3 injections each day.

You don’t have to have 3 injections each day if you don’t want to eat 3 meals. That's the whole point of the basal-bolus regime, to allow you to be flexible. You just take your fast acting insulin when you eat, whenever that may be, and then your basal insulin keeps you ticking over in the meantime. So there shouldn’t be any problem at all if you've left it 6 hours between meals.

Hi @Lucyr my concern or worry is it is advisable to go for a long period of time between meals other than the recommended 4 hours and also I need to fit in 3 injections each day.
If your insulin doses are correct you could go the entire day without eating and be fine, you must go longer than 4 hours between meals when you do basal testing? And you must go at least 8 hours between meals overnight? You don’t need to fit in 3 rapid injections a day you just bolus when you eat.

There is no 4 hour rule. The good thing about Basal/Bolus is that you use the Bolus when you eat and adjust the amount you inject based on the carbs. So meal gaps largely don't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back