Will I qualify for an insulin pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tradesman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi , I was reading about a member being denied an insulin pump after 57 years on insulin, I had a hospital annual appointment in February and enquired also about changing to a pump, the doctor said I was well controlled but would put my name forward for an interview, I was just checking my BG the Libreview is due to be changed in the next 6 hours the reading was 9.3 and a blood test was 6.5 so I don't rely on the sensor to much although I wouldn't be without it.

I am the person refused a pump after 57 years! But probably with good reason. Far too fit and far too well controlled. HbA1c of 37. BMI of 21.5. I am thinking of trying again but it seems that certain people - young people, newly diagnosed, pregnant - are being prioritised.

Yes I noticed the categories of those getting priority I have been type 1 since 1966 so we're much alike in that and I live in Scotland I don't know if that will be any different in qualifying, my doctor said its what is right for you although he isn't the person who has the say and I'll be 73 in June and don't get the hypo warnings as I used to but hay ho I'll keep my fingers crossed and thanks for your input.

I am the person refused a pump after 57 years! But probably with good reason. Far too fit and far too well controlled. HbA1c of 37. BMI of 21.5. I am thinking of trying again but it seems that certain people - young people, newly diagnosed, pregnant - are being prioritised.
This new criteria concerns me. I surmise more children diagnosed & more family planners getting priority? (Don’t mention the “budget.”) This “roll out plan” getting delayed just like adding to the “mirage” I’ve been promised for decades.

This new criteria concerns me. I surmise more children diagnosed & more family planners getting priority? (Don’t mention the “budget.”) This “roll out plan” getting delayed just like adding to the “mirage” I’ve been promised for decades.
While it makes me a low priority, I approve of the ordering. I think it makes sense: children have an expectation of many more years of diabetes than me and they likely have more of a problem keeping control (because they're growing and have generally more active hormones and so on). And pregnant women also have a much harder time of it, and improving their control helps at least two people. The other major criterion is just poor control (high HbA1c or a serious problem with hypos) and those are obviously worth targeting.

(I think some groups are likely to speed along some adults who wouldn't otherwise qualify right away but who're already using a pump, and that makes sense because they ought to be fairly easy and inexpensive and it seems daft not to.)

While it makes me a low priority, I approve of the ordering. I think it makes sense: children have an expectation of many more years of diabetes than me and they likely have more of a problem keeping control (because they're growing and have generally more active hormones and so on). And pregnant women also have a much harder time of it, and improving their control helps at least two people. The other major criterion is just poor control (high HbA1c or a serious problem with hypos) and those are obviously worth targeting.

(I think some groups are likely to speed along some adults who wouldn't otherwise qualify right away but who're already using a pump, and that makes sense because they ought to be fairly easy and inexpensive and it seems daft not to.)
I wouldn’t disagree with your (as always.) balanced points. Can I ask you if you pump?
I also feel that come at the end of a current pump “cycle” (out of warranty.) there may also be a change to these therapy treatments to CLS. Just supposition.

Yes I noticed the categories of those getting priority I have been type 1 since 1966 so we're much alike in that and I live in Scotland I don't know if that will be any different in qualifying, my doctor said its what is right for you although he isn't the person who has the say and I'll be 73 in June and don't get the hypo warnings as I used to but hay ho I'll keep my fingers crossed and thanks for your input.

Diminishing hypo warning signs should be enough to qualify you for a pump, make sure to emphasise that it effects your quality of life.

Fortunately I still get very good hypo (and hyper) warning signs. They have changed over the years. I am always ahead of CGM. I quite like it when I get an alert of an imminent hypo when I've already eaten something. It allows me to verbally remonstrate with a dictatorial piece of tech!

I also "verbally demonstrate with my dictatorial tech", far too frequently according to my wife.

Unfortunately it's not so much because of that pleasant smugness of knowing I'm ahead of the tech and taken sensible action; but more because I heard a first alert (from my phone, hand held Receiver or watch) then a second, third and a fourth (a repeat from one of the 3!). By this stage I'm just stressed and having to resist throwing something out the window. I'm grateful for the tech, but need it to work appropriately (always) then I wouldn't need the 2nd or 3rd device as back-ups.

But my stressed response does in some silly way help - or so I'd like to believe!

My nurse said to me that the criteria isn’t just levels and blood results it is also quality of life. I think some locations are able to consider other factors.
My levels only just met the thresholds but looking at the data 2 weeks of each month would be all over the place (menstruation etc) now on the pump I can change my background levels as soon as I see what’s going on, and I have more time in range. Also my sleep is much better now.
If you think your life can be improved give them the reasons.

It can include the effort and mental load you spend on diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back