Will a 6-pack abdomen reverse prediabetes/diabetes?

Admiral Benbow

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Just have a question for you all. If one were to get washboard abs, do you think the diabetes monster would be pretty much gone?

I suppose it rather depends on how it is achieved - a far easier way is to cut down the carbs and surf towards remission on the extra energy and wellbeing which breakfasts of steak and mushrooms brings. Other sources of protein and fats are available.

Just have a question for you all. If one were to get washboard abs, do you think the diabetes monster would be pretty much gone?
No. But the exercise involved would help to CONTROL it. Weight exercise especially when it gets to the anaerobic state sucks glucose out of the system. The new muscles also demand more glucose than fat cells to function. So weight training is a win-win in the management if diabetes.
Bernstein even had his little old ladies working dumbbells.
(Crikey we don't hear Bernstein ( the guru before last) mentioned much nowadays ).

Having good muscles can help with insulin sensitivity, so if you have insulin resistance it will help.

Weight loss seems to help bring back to life beta cells that are no longer producing insulin in some people and allows them to go back to a normal diet without blood sugar issues.

You don't know until you try.

In the pre-diabetic state, getting rid of insulin resistance is probably a good thing to prevent the progression to full blown T2.

No. But the exercise involved would help to CONTROL it. Weight exercise especially when it gets to the anaerobic state sucks glucose out of the system. The new muscles also demand more glucose than fat cells to function. So weight training is a win-win in the management if diabetes.
Bernstein even had his little old ladies working dumbbells.
(Crikey we don't hear Bernstein ( the guru before last) mentioned much nowadays ).

I find a brisk walk does indeed suck glucose out of the system - sometimes rather too much! It's very good way to keep things under control for me (And I have a few minutes with some weights in the morning as well.)

If you work towards a leaner flatter stomach I would say it would most certainly help manage it and reduce your BG level. To keep it at bay you would have to maintain that going forward. It has certainly helped me. I still have more work to do but I now have the stomach I had 25 years ago and that it mainly down to diet & exercise. They come hand in hand in my opinion.

Yes it will.

In Feb 24, I got prediabetes. My HBA1C was 42. Funnily enough, its also my age. I was obese, 165cm, 71kg. I was in my 30s for body fat %. My neck was 16 1/2 inches. My waist around belly button was 35 inches.

I immediately cut carbs and removed junk food in house. No fizzy drinks, rice, crisps, chips, bread, etc.

I went gym 6 times a week. Push, Pull, Legs and one rest day. I started taking protein shakes and got into a calorie deficit by reducing portion sizes and skipping breakfast. No snacking either. Intermittent fasting.

I made sure I got sleep. I took Casein Whey powder at night, along with cod liver tablets, magnesium, zinc and multivitamins.

I increased my steps to 15k per day with morning and lunch walks for 45m each.

In Mar 24, I was fasting for Ramadhan. I continued 6 day gym session, no carbs and 15k steps.

In May 24, I did intermittent fasting and continued routine. Had a rest week and some cheat meals.

By June I weighed 62kg and my BMI is normal. My neck is 15 inches and my waist is 31.5 inches. I have under 15% body fat with a clear 6 pack and lean body. I look and feel great.

I received my blood results yesterday. Its 35. Doctor said if its the same again in 6 or 12m time, I won’t need annual blood tests even though I have family history and unlucky genes. As long as I can see my 6 pack, I’m good.

So yes, it will work. You just need to maintain that 6 pack …forever.

Crikey we don't hear Bernstein ( the guru before last) mentioned much nowadays
Maybe because we have realised there are some parts of what he said that were unacceptable.
For example, women's monthly hormones are too difficult so all women with diabetes must go on the pill. Thanks for suggesting women with diabetes should not have children!

Maybe because we have realised there are some parts of what he said that were unacceptable.
For example, women's monthly hormones are too difficult so all women with diabetes must go on the pill. Thanks for suggesting women with diabetes should not have children!
There are some guys that “cover up” that felt the same way. Takes 2 to tango & I never felt I could trust the anyone to remember a tab. Not that I also felt the owness was on the dance partner. I don’t do “career diabetics” either. However. Children? Not In this day & age. Grand kids. Now I’m talking. Rather keep T1 to “the family.”

Yes it will.

In Feb 24, I got prediabetes. My HBA1C was 42. Funnily enough, its also my age. I was obese, 165cm, 71kg. I was in my 30s for body fat %. My neck was 16 1/2 inches. My waist around belly button was 35 inches.

I immediately cut carbs and removed junk food in house. No fizzy drinks, rice, crisps, chips, bread, etc.

I went gym 6 times a week. Push, Pull, Legs and one rest day. I started taking protein shakes and got into a calorie deficit by reducing portion sizes and skipping breakfast. No snacking either. Intermittent fasting.

I made sure I got sleep. I took Casein Whey powder at night, along with cod liver tablets, magnesium, zinc and multivitamins.

I increased my steps to 15k per day with morning and lunch walks for 45m each.

In Mar 24, I was fasting for Ramadhan. I continued 6 day gym session, no carbs and 15k steps.

In May 24, I did intermittent fasting and continued routine. Had a rest week and some cheat meals.

By June I weighed 62kg and my BMI is normal. My neck is 15 inches and my waist is 31.5 inches. I have under 15% body fat with a clear 6 pack and lean body. I look and feel great.

I received my blood results yesterday. Its 35. Doctor said if its the same again in 6 or 12m time, I won’t need annual blood tests even though I have family history and unlucky genes. As long as I can see my 6 pack, I’m good.

So yes, it will work. You just need to maintain that 6 pack …forever.
Thanks for this. I have my annual blood test in two weeks and beginning to prepare. I am worried about fasting glucose as it has been high the last two times and I am not sure why. Here have been my results from last year when I first knew I had to make a change after Jan 2023 results. However, even after going low carb, eating clean, and weight loss I still have issues with fasting glucose. I have had low A1C scores which I requested which make me not too concerned about diabetes as I know fasting fluctuates on the day and can be higher in the morning, and possibly because of being in a clinical setting and nerves etc. You'll notice I did have a fasting glucose of 93 in May 2023 and each time they are different and all over the place. All tests were in the morning. Let me know your thoughts on how to prepare for the test so I can get my fasting normal on the day. I really don't want some Doc to say have I have diabetes based on one fasting glucose test and get the label as a diabetic.

Fasting GlucoseTriglyceridesBlood PressureWeight /173 cm hBMIWaistA1C %HDL
January 2023130 mg/Dl210150/8375.1 kG25.192cmn/A45
May 202393 mg/Dl73120/8059.6 kG19.984-85 cm4.8 (29mmol)55
August 2023134 mg/Dl45115/7160.25 kG20.2575 cmn/A50.25
Sept 1 2023128 mg/DlN/AN/An/An/An/A5.1 (32mmol)n/A

Well I suppose part of that particular change of shape would be a necessary reduction in abdominal fat, and reduction in body fat percentage - which might be helpful.

I am never convinced it is as simple as A equals B though. Even with fitness, sports, and other ‘healthy’ pursuits - it’s not uncommon to aim to achieve a healthy-looking thing, through very unhealthy and potentially injurious means.

Thanks for this. I have my annual blood test in two weeks and beginning to prepare. I am worried about fasting glucose as it has been high the last two times and I am not sure why. Here have been my results from last year when I first knew I had to make a change after Jan 2023 results. However, even after going low carb, eating clean, and weight loss I still have issues with fasting glucose. I have had low A1C scores which I requested which make me not too concerned about diabetes as I know fasting fluctuates on the day and can be higher in the morning, and possibly because of being in a clinical setting and nerves etc. You'll notice I did have a fasting glucose of 93 in May 2023 and each time they are different and all over the place. All tests were in the morning. Let me know your thoughts on how to prepare for the test so I can get my fasting normal on the day. I really don't want some Doc to say have I have diabetes based on one fasting glucose test and get the label as a diabetic.

Fasting GlucoseTriglyceridesBlood PressureWeight /173 cm hBMIWaistA1C %HDL
January 2023130 mg/Dl210150/8375.1 kG25.192cmn/A45
May 202393 mg/Dl73120/8059.6 kG19.984-85 cm4.8 (29mmol)55
August 2023134 mg/Dl45115/7160.25 kG20.2575 cmn/A50.25
Sept 1 2023128 mg/DlN/AN/An/An/An/A5.1 (32mmol)n/A
How did your test go? I’m not sure I am best to give advice, I can only talk from experience and I’ve only just started. It looks like best way to get good test results is to be as lean as possible as you were in May 2023. We need to be careful not to lose muscle mass so doing resistance training is a good shout. I go gym 5-6 times a week.

Going keto seems the best option.

Keep up the good work!

Back