Why zero-calorie sweeteners can still lead to diabetes, obesity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Increased awareness of the health consequences of eating too much sugar has fueled a dramatic uptick in the consumption of zero-calorie artificial sweeteners in recent decades. However, new research finds sugar replacements can also cause health changes that are linked with diabetes and obesity, suggesting that switching from regular to diet soda may be a case of 'out of the frying pan, into the fire.'

Artificial sweeteners are one of the most common food additives worldwide, frequently consumed in diet and zero-calorie sodas and other products. While some previous studies have linked artificial sweeteners with negative health consequences, earlier research has been mixed and raised questions about potential bias related to study sponsorship.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180423085440.htm

My very first post, about a month ago, in the newbies forum was about artificial sweeteners. I cut them out completely from my diet, September 2017, & went from eating about 4000cals/day to 1200cals/day, then, & now a little bit more, because I’m eating natural fats, about 1500cals/day. I was drinking 8x2litre bottles of coke zero a week & eating other stuff with sweeteners. It didn’t happen overnight but, I stopped eating so much, less starchy carbs, having hypos that needed lowered doses of insulin & losing weight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back