Why your health secrets may no longer be safe with your GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The NHS wants to share patient information on a huge database. Has government learned nothing from the privacy debate?

A few days ago, I dropped into my GP's surgery to pick up a prescription and was confronted by one of those large, floor-mounted pop-up displays that one finds in exhibitions, trade fairs and circuses. It informed me of an exciting new scheme by which the "quality of care and health services" would be "improved" by "sharing" information about the care I receive with those who plan health and social care services, as well as with "approved researchers and organisations outside the NHS".

The mechanism by which this "sharing" was to be accomplished, namely uploading one's confidential medical records to a huge database, was nowhere mentioned in the poster. Indeed, the word "database" appears nowhere either in the poster or in the official leaflet that is being junk-mailed to every household in the land. Instead, there is a lot of soothing verbiage extolling the benefits of uploading all our medical records to a giant server farm. Doing so will, for example, enable the NHS to "find more effective ways of preventing, treating and managing illnesses", "guide decisions about how to manage NHS resources so that they can best support the treatment and care of all patients", etc.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/26/health-secrets-not-safe-with-gp

My advice is 'opt out'. I've already rang the surgery and informed them.

My advice is 'opt out'. I've already rang the surgery and informed them.

I would also put it in writing, just to be on the safe side Jill.

Experience has shown that the Government simply cannot manage large IT projects

They also seem to be mesmerised by these sort of things anyway; besides computer projects we have the threat of HS2.

We know how to have more effective ways of preventing, treating and managing illnesses - put that sort of funding into staff & facilities at "ground level".

Chiefs and Indians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back