Why We Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds interesting Northie!

I vaguely remember a charity thing where Simon Mayo broadcast a radio show for several days straight,

The lack of sleep caused hallucinations if I remember right - it seems if you don’t get enough time to dream while asleep, your brain starts dreaming while you are awake!

An absolutely fascinating book, I read some time ago! BUT, it states at the start of the book about the possible effect of making insomnia worse for a while & it certainly did for me: particularly the first half of the book; got better while I reading the latter parts! I was already going through a bad bout of insomnia at the time I was reading it & in hindsight should have read the latter parts of the book first BEFORE reading about the dangers etc. of not enough sleep in the early parts! 😱

An absolutely fascinating book, I read some time ago! BUT, it states at the start of the book about the possible effect of making insomnia worse for a while & it certainly did for me: particularly the first half of the book; got better while I reading the latter parts! I was already going through a bad bout of insomnia at the time I was reading it & in hindsight should have read the latter parts of the book first BEFORE reading about the dangers etc. of not enough sleep in the early parts! 😱
Yes, some of the chapters about the dangers of lack of sleep aren't helpful if you're not sleeping well 😱 It did encourage me to try and improve my sleeping patterns though, but I agree it can take a little while 🙂 I thought the information about teenagers was interesting 🙂

The parts about dreaming were particularly fascinating & REALLY highlighted just how ABNORMAL my sleep was for years & years due to having apnoea for a large chunk of my life! 😱 It wasn’t until the mid 90’s, can’t remember exactly, that I had a nose job to fix that & actually slept through the night without waking up every 3 or 4 hours!

It meant that when I slept it was only long enough to do either one thing or the other: heal the body or recharge, reorganise, destress etc. the mind; the mind was always first & sometimes I didn’t heal from little injuries until my mind was taken care of in the days LONG before I became diabetic!

I always knew which kind of sleep I had: always remember my dreams after a mind sleep with my body still feeling a bit battered; don’t have any dreams & my body feels refreshed after a body healing sleep! 🙄

Since the nose op I mostly sleep through the night but, at times during a bad cold or ill the apnoea returns & I always know now when it does as I wake often & again my mind comes first & things can take EVEN longer to heal as I also have the added complication of diabetes now as well!

Shame dont have kindle but prefer books anyway, find subject of sleep & dreams fascinating so look to buy book, cheers Northie my friend.

Just ordered book from ebay, good price at £5.98 as where £9.34 on Amazon, looking forward to reading it.
I have read a number of excellent books on the workings of the human body, and this is right up there as an important read - I hope you find it informative too 🙂 I actually bought this book in the original hardback after hearing a R4 programme about it, so it cost me full whack! 😱 🙂

I’ve just bought it on my Kindle - £3.99. I’ll read it as soon as I’ve finished the current book.

I have read a number of excellent books on the workings of the human body, and this is right up there as an important read - I hope you find it informative too 🙂 I actually bought this book in the original hardback after hearing a R4 programme about it, so it cost me full whack! 😱 🙂

Ian Wallace has some good reads on dreams, interesting guy who was often on R2 few years back.

Really great read & recommend it to anyone, always knew importance of good nights sleep but never knew about dangers of lack of it can do mentally & physically. Again thanks for heads up on book Northie.

The parts about dreaming were particularly fascinating & REALLY highlighted just how ABNORMAL my sleep was for years & years due to having apnoea for a large chunk of my life! 😱 It wasn’t until the mid 90’s, can’t remember exactly, that I had a nose job to fix that & actually slept through the night without waking up every 3 or 4 hours!

It meant that when I slept it was only long enough to do either one thing or the other: heal the body or recharge, reorganise, destress etc. the mind; the mind was always first & sometimes I didn’t heal from little injuries until my mind was taken care of in the days LONG before I became diabetic!

I always knew which kind of sleep I had: always remember my dreams after a mind sleep with my body still feeling a bit battered; don’t have any dreams & my body feels refreshed after a body healing sleep! 🙄

Since the nose op I mostly sleep through the night but, at times during a bad cold or ill the apnoea returns & I always know now when it does as I wake often & again my mind comes first & things can take EVEN longer to heal as I also have the added complication of diabetes now as well!
My dreams make "Nightmare on Elm Street" look tame.
But I know it's a dream, so I just go back to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back