Why People with Diabetes Need to Avoid Statins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Those of us who have diabetes have enough to be concerned about for me to be writing here about all those things that don’t help us. You won’t find me writing about any of those many supplements and miracle cures that won’t do anything for you except separate yourself from your money. You don’t need me to tell you that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Have you noticed that whenever you encounter a problem, the act of dealing with that problem can create more problems, unless you are especially careful? Those of us who have diabetes need to be especially careful of the drugs that our doctors prescribe, because any drug carries with it unwanted side effects.

Even the type of drug that more Americans and people around the world take has a long list of side effects. Statins, a class of drugs that lower low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL), are commonly prescribed to people with diabetes and pre-diabetes when our lifestyle changes don’t achieve the LDL targets that our doctors like.

About 32 million Americans take a statin. One-fourth of us 45 and over do. One of the statins, Lipitor, is the all-time biggest selling prescription medicine in the history of the world with sales of more than $130 billion.

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/voices/2014/01/why-people-with-diabetes-need-to-avoid-statins/

Don't stop taking your medication without first discussing it with your doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back