Why is the NHS not promoting more female leaders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Female medical students now outnumber male medical students. But before we all start congratulating ourselves on the great triumph of gender equality, we need to have a frank conversation about what is really going on.

Despite the fact that, year on year, more female students than men are now entering medical school, those statistics are not reflected in women in the top NHS positions. Some 81% of the non-medical NHS workforce is female yet this does not translate to women in leadership roles. In my opinion, this is a loss to everyone. We already know that mixed-gender teams perform better than single-gender teams.

We should have the best people for the jobs in the roles, irrespective of gender but I'm not convinced this is happening. Women in leadership bring a lot to the table. Men do too. But if they only compete with half of the population, ie only with other men, for their high-powered leadership roles in the NHS, how can this possibly be a good thing? Women are underrepresented in NHS leadership and I think we need to ask why.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/21/nhs-not-promoting-female-leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back