Why is my body not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veenorthants

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sorry another rant from me, I know I only pop in and out from time to time but do find some comfort and helpful info from this group

Just got off the phone with the diabetic nurse, she's trying to convince me to go on insulin. The thought petrifies me..... feel like a failure

Got diagnosed 3 years ago, HBA1C went down then over the last year has snuck back up. Eating pattern changed to keep things low carb so no potato, no rice, pasta or bread. Initially on slow release metformin but bloods started to increase a year ago so they changed me to Dapagliflozin after a week I had to come off it for various reasons so back on to 1500mg slow release metformin this in turn caused stomach issues so they then changed it to sitagliptin bloods have just kept raising can be anything from 9.5 to 20.5. As an example greek yoghurt berries and a sprinkling of seeds and nuts my BG was 18.5, as a result I didn't eat anything for the rest of the day and just drank water, it was 8.30pm before they went back to single figures. Waking averages between 12.2 and 14.1 when speaking with the nurse she said anything over 10 they are concerned, even when my bloods were good I always wake on a high anything between 8.6 and 10.5 then starts to come down after I've eaten unfortunately on sitagliptin they never come down think in 8 weeks Ive had 2 readings in single figures.

I just don't understand it, am scared of the thought of insulin (I don't know why) don't feel that I can do anything right, I don't eat fried foods, I cook most evening meals from scratch. Lunch is normally celery and saint agua or cold meats and salad so not very exciting.

What else can I do, I'm within my BMI range probably could do with 5lbs going but not a massive amount, currently I've got them to agree to going back to slow release metformin as a temporary measure (I know I'm clutching at straws) with the hope being off it for a while it might kick start it in working again. Also have asked them to test hormone levels on blood test on Monday. I feel that I need an explanation as to why this is happening when 90% of the time I'm good I sit and watch people eating whatever they like without a care in the world and wonder if that'll ever be me again

Firstly, you are not a failure. It sounds to me as if you have been trying very hard under very difficult circumstances.
Secondly, have you been tested for Type 1? Eating so little carbs, being normal/underweight and still having high blood sugars all sounds like classic symptoms of Type 1. Or at least a reason to check.
Thirdly, and it sounds as if you already know this, injecting insulin is not the end of the world. Yes, it is daunting to have to do the job of a human organ as well as everything else you do in a day but many of us do it and live full, healthy lives.
Your current life does not sound fun. If insulin helps to get your levels back down and gives you energy, in your position, I would take it ... and demand a test for Type 1.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware I've never been tested for Type 1so I will ask the question on Monday.
I know your right that its not the end of the world and hats off to all of you, logic hasn't kicked in with me yet still having the irrational thoughts because of lack of control I guess. I think it just scares me with regard to the numbers, what if I do too much what if I do too little. I don't really know enough but have an appointment on Wednesday to discuss it further.
I think the problem is as it was when I was first diagnosed it becomes consuming in everything you do and I hate it. Its not easy to sit there I think I don't need to test when all you want to do is know what your bloods are doing. Thought I'd cracked it with knowing what to eat and then it all changes overnight there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

oh boy. Saw the title and identified. read the post and identified. My diagnosis was October but most fits my patterns too.
I get frustrated too, I know people who are t2, munch crap all day and metformin does the job. hardly fair.

I was sorta the opposite where I struggled to get a DSN referral from my GP surgery and my levels were insanely higher than yours and could have done with insulin much much sooner.
DSN immediately offered me insulin and I was fed up, feeling horrific and basically jumped at the chance. I can't even begin to tell you the benefit of it in just a few weeks so far.

Injecting is easy peasy, I barely feel it and most will start you off on small doses and build it to where you need it to be vs a sudden drop and you are left flailing about. At least they will if they still treat you are a T2 🙂

At the end of the day it is your choice, they aren't going to pin you down and inject for you but I would greatly encourage you to give it a go if it is fear holding you back and see if doing will lessen the fear or perhaps talk here what those fears are and let others give you some reassurance and help you work through it.

sending the biggest hugs, I understand where you are at x

oh boy. Saw the title and identified. read the post and identified. My diagnosis was October but most fits my patterns too.
I get frustrated too, I know people who are t2, munch crap all day and metformin does the job. hardly fair.

I was sorta the opposite where I struggled to get a DSN referral from my GP surgery and my levels were insanely higher than yours and could have done with insulin much much sooner.
DSN immediately offered me insulin and I was fed up, feeling horrific and basically jumped at the chance. I can't even begin to tell you the benefit of it in just a few weeks so far.

Injecting is easy peasy, I barely feel it and most will start you off on small doses and build it to where you need it to be vs a sudden drop and you are left flailing about. At least they will if they still treat you are a T2 🙂

At the end of the day it is your choice, they aren't going to pin you down and inject for you but I would greatly encourage you to give it a go if it is fear holding you back and see if doing will lessen the fear or perhaps talk here what those fears are and let others give you some reassurance and help you work through it.

sending the biggest hugs, I understand where you are at x
Phew its good to hear I'm not alone. And I'm sorry you've had to go through it but really glad you are starting to feel a lot brighter. I know I have to do it its just getting my head in the right place to accept it.

Its not like I want to sit and eat crap cos I don't I just want to be able to eat the odd sandwich, have toast with my scrambled egg or go out for dinner and not have to scan the menu then moan that there's nothing suitable and know I can eat anything rather than I'd better not cos my bloods will excel. Is that sad?

Thank you for your support, sending hugs back and keep going strong xx

It's not sad at all. You just want to do life without the constant guilt of pushing up your bg when you so much as sniff a carb.

I'm a bit in the middle where I am still on fairly low carbs and have to be very careful with my menu but boundaries can be nudged now n again and isn't the end of the world like it was before. I'm hoping the closer I get to my correct dose, the more stable I will be and the more I can tolerate.

What I can say with my background insulin and being on the right amount:
I was started on 10 units and stayed on that for about 9 days.
After that I was to go up by 2 units every 3 days so my body got used to the new doses.
I've to keep on adjusting every 3 days until I get to target and from then on if I'm below target for 3 days decrease and above, increase.
Its not an instant day 1 and fixed but been a slow decline.

I hope some of that reassures you a little.

Have you got any more questions or things that are worrying you that might help make an informed decision?

Fair play to you for embracing it and dealing with it. It is the unknown for me that scares me the most.

I'm so pleased you are now finding your feet it is reassuring for me so I thank you for that.

I've just read your initial post from April, you really have been through the mill in such a short space of time so glad you have found a solution that works for you. I know it will happen for me too eventually. If you ever need to rant feel free to message me and thank you again for making me feel not so alone xx

It seems that from reading lots of posts here that what is crucial to managing your diabetes regardless of what type is getting the correct diagnosis and treatment regime, whether than be dietary changes or medication. It is also apparent that these days people have to be proactive and pushy when it comes to getting their diabetic support team to take things seriously and progress the appropriate tests.
I was shocked not only at the number of registered diabetics in my local trust 58,000 but that only a quarter of those had had their annual diabetic checks and I would suspect those who had were probably those who were taking their condition seriously not the ones who really needed the checks.
I hope that your Nurse is supportive about whatever treatment route you decide on.

Well of course that is the thing about insulin. Nobody will ever suggest anyone ought to eat crap, BUT if you did want to eat something 'carborific' once in a while, you'd most likely be able to fit it in. However that ain't the reason to actually opt for insulin - insulin is intended to manage your blood glucose and prevent it being too high and killing you.

It seems that from reading lots of posts here that what is crucial to managing your diabetes regardless of what type is getting the correct diagnosis and treatment regime, whether than be dietary changes or medication. It is also apparent that these days people have to be proactive and pushy when it comes to getting their diabetic support team to take things seriously and progress the appropriate tests.
I was shocked not only at the number of registered diabetics in my local trust 58,000 but that only a quarter of those had had their annual diabetic checks and I would suspect those who had were probably those who were taking their condition seriously not the ones who really needed the checks.
I hope that your Nurse is supportive about whatever treatment route you decide on.
Our surgery are awful especially since covid you have to really push to speak to anyone. I didn't even know a diabetic team existed until lte last year 18 months after diagnosis and that's only because I discovered it and threatened to go down there

I agree with Helli @Veenorthants - I would definitely be asking for tests for type 1 in your situation, it sounds as though you have been doing all the right things for type 2 and not getting anywhere, and it could well be that you have slow-onset type 1 and that would explain it. The tests to ask for are C-Peptide and GAD antibody, and if your GP won't authorise them it would be worth asking for a referral to the hospital diabetes team (and/or asking the GP what they would do if they were in your situation and it were their health on the line).

Insulin is really not a failure, it's just a different med to try - and if you're type 1 you will not be able to survive without it, it's the only possible med. It's not at all scary to use once you get used to it - I'm a serious needle-phobe and if I can inject myself with it anyone can (I have covered needles so I can't see them going in - but the standard needles are tiny, so unless you are like me and unable to see a needle without passing out then the standard ones are very easy to use). It's also very rare for insulin to have side-effects, so I'd much rather be on insulin than Metformin! I wouldn't wait for the type 1 tests, which can take a while - I'd accept the insulin now (it shouldn't make any difference to the test results). You must be feeling lousy with such high blood sugars, and going on insulin will make you feel a whole lot better.

I agree with Helli @Veenorthants - I would definitely be asking for tests for type 1 in your situation, it sounds as though you have been doing all the right things for type 2 and not getting anywhere, and it could well be that you have slow-onset type 1 and that would explain it. The tests to ask for are C-Peptide and GAD antibody, and if your GP won't authorise them it would be worth asking for a referral to the hospital diabetes team (and/or asking the GP what they would do if they were in your situation and it were their health on the line).

Insulin is really not a failure, it's just a different med to try - and if you're type 1 you will not be able to survive without it, it's the only possible med. It's not at all scary to use once you get used to it - I'm a serious needle-phobe and if I can inject myself with it anyone can (I have covered needles so I can't see them going in - but the standard needles are tiny, so unless you are like me and unable to see a needle without passing out then the standard ones are very easy to use). It's also very rare for insulin to have side-effects, so I'd much rather be on insulin than Metformin! I wouldn't wait for the type 1 tests, which can take a while - I'd accept the insulin now (it shouldn't make any difference to the test results). You must be feeling lousy with such high blood sugars, and going on insulin will make you feel a whole lot better.
Thank you I will definitely ask today.

However, since Friday and being back on just 500mg of metformin I'm back in single figures. Admittedly I've stayed away from alot of carbs but am back in the 7-9 range even on waking.

I had a lot of what I thought was hayfever symptoms over the last 8 weeks it appears after some more research that it could be side effects from sitaglipton so (still clutching at straws) I'm wondering whether my body was fighting that hence the high readings. I already feel so much better and not feeling lethargic. Fingers crossed see what happens over the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back