Why I Told My Diabetes Doctor to Back Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Let me just say it. I hate diabetes. I hate it. Oh, I know that it can be managed (I do) and that you can live a good, long life (I am -- 27 years with Type 1 diabetes). But still, I hate it. And one of the reasons I hate it is that, for me, it has been so difficult to find a good doctor who's not going to judge me and make me feel bad when my numbers are not in range. Not wanting to be judged, hassled, scolded or embarrassed for my diabetes self care, literally keeps me from going to the doctor as often as I should. Period. And I'm willing to bet that many of my fellow people with diabetes agree with me. So trust me when I say that rarely ever does chastisement motivate. Not for me anyway.

And to complicate my personal diabetes management even further, I work in the diabetes industry, and because I know many of the big players in the field, it impacts my career as well. Would they look at me differently if they knew that for the last week I've been struggling with my blood glucose levels and I've been averaging around 220? Would I be viewed as any less credible or talented or capable? Would they scoff and say, "She should know better"? Well, I've got news for you, diabetes is its own wild animal, and just like being in the wild, it is often unpredictable and random

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peg-abernathy/diabetes-numbers_b_6792626.html

In case anyone's wondering, 220 (mg/DL) is 12.2 in our units (mmol/L). 🙂

Well firstly - no way would I sit on a stool in a doctor's office! that's not an acceptable form of eating.

Secondly, I'd have got up and walked out if a doctor said 'How dare you speak to me like that!' - unless I'd actually f'd, b'd and said his mom wasn't married to his dad etc, of course. (Or, would I actually have punched them? Tempting. Probably would have wished I dared to, but wouldn't have! LOL)

She is right about the criticism bit, but the stuff about her actual levels lead me to more than suspect that she may have had D for 27 years - she needs educating!! I mean highs are not OK - but it's more important knowing WHY and correcting that, than the fact you're seeing those levels, isn't it? Which mostly - UK diabetes CLINICS understand and react accordingly.

I really like going to mine - I'm going to see people I like. Even when I've 'failed' and know there's likely to be an inquest !

I always snigger childishly at the mention of a 'bar stool' or a 'kitchen stool' 😱 :D

ROFL Banjo - I bviously issed he irst etter ff he ord, idn't I ? OL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back