Why don't they tell you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwynn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This isn't a rant but a description of a particular voyage of discovery. The reason for this post is because some others here on this forum may well be taking PPI's as a daily medication and they can affect things in many ways...has anyone told you?.

Recently I was a bit concerned regarding my very low pulse rate. The doctors did an investgation and concluded that my heart misses beats every so often and the pulse was indeed very low. End of story as far as they were concerned (can't have been too bad)....

As many of you may be aware, I analyse as much as I can in regard to food, vitamins, minerals, etc.

Recently I discovered by accident (on the internet) that the Lansoprazole (PPI - Proton Pump Inhibitor) that I have been taking for at least 15 years interferes with potassium absorption from food.

It was all sparked off when my last blood serum potassium results were rather low.

Did anyone comment? No. Did anyone at the surgery offer any advice or information? No. Was it relevant? Well, actually, yes, but I didn't know it at that time.

So I added potassium analysis to my App which revealed that my dietary intake of potassium was not helping matters.

Following that I added three supplements (carefully) to my daily regime😛otassium, magnesium, zinc

Why the magnesium and zinc, because multiple sources on the internet suggested that they help the potassium absorption too. Hmmm not to sure about that.

The results of taking the new supplements have been nothing short of astonishing. Better feeling of wellbeing, more energy, no more pain, better blood glucose readings (and they were pretty good before), normal blood pressure now, normal pulse now, etc etc

Were the doctors interested? No. Did they have any advice or insight? No.

Anyway, further research (if you can call it that) revealed that PPI's can interfere with the absorption of: potassium, magnesium, zinc, iron, calcium,vitamin C, vitamin B12.

The blood serum results showed that my iron, calcium, vitamins C and B12 are all ok (feedback is so important) but the potassium was low. But no results (no test for) zinc or magnesium.

Almost by sheer luck I believe that this cocktail of potassium, magnesium, zinc supplements has helped me get away from the problems caused by the PPI med.

So, if any of you are taking PPI meds perhaps it might be prudent to look into your blood serum results for potassium, magnesium, zinc and then talking to your doctor if younare concerned.
The PPI effects on these minerals and vitamins seem to be plastered all over the internet. The doctors, nurses, consultants could have advised me or informed me which would have been so helpful to me. They had over 15 years in which they could have done so too.

If anyone considers adding any supplement to their dietary strategy then please consult a doctor or nurtitionist and do the research to ensure you don't over do it. It is possible to take too much of these things and cause great harm!!

There. I feel so much better now. 🙂

This isn't a rant but a description of a particular voyage of discovery. The reason for this post is because some others here on this forum may well be taking PPI's as a daily medication and they can affect things in many ways...has anyone told you?.

Recently I was a bit concerned regarding my very low pulse rate. The doctors did an investgation and concluded that my heart misses beats every so often and the pulse was indeed very low. End of story as far as they were concerned (can't have been too bad)....

As many of you may be aware, I analyse as much as I can in regard to food, vitamins, minerals, etc.

Recently I discovered by accident (on the internet) that the Lansoprazole (PPI - Proton Pump Inhibitor) that I have been taking for at least 15 years interferes with potassium absorption from food.

It was all sparked off when my last blood serum potassium results were rather low.

Did anyone comment? No. Did anyone at the surgery offer any advice or information? No. Was it relevant? Well, actually, yes, but I didn't know it at that time.

So I added potassium analysis to my App which revealed that my dietary intake of potassium was not helping matters.

Following that I added three supplements (carefully) to my daily regime😛otassium, magnesium, zinc

Why the magnesium and zinc, because multiple sources on the internet suggested that they help the potassium absorption too. Hmmm not to sure about that.

The results of taking the new supplements have been nothing short of astonishing. Better feeling of wellbeing, more energy, no more pain, better blood glucose readings (and they were pretty good before), normal blood pressure now, normal pulse now, etc etc

Anyway, further research (if you can call it that) revealed that PPI's can interfere with the absorption of: potassium, magnesium, zinc, iron, calcium,vitamin C, vitamin B12.

The blood serum results showed that my iron, calcium, vitamins C and B12 are all ok (feedback is so important) but the potassium was low. But no results (no test for) zinc or magnesium.

Almost by sheer luck I believe that this cocktail of potassium, magnesium, zinc supplements has helped me get away from the problems caused by the PPI med.

So, if any of you are taking PPI meds perhaps it might be prudent to look into your blood serum results for potassium, magnesium, zinc and then talking to your doctor if younare concerned.
The PPI effects on these minerals and vitamins seem to be plastered all over the internet. The doctors, nurses, consultants could have advised me or informed me which would have been so helpful to me. They had over 15 years in which they could have done so too.

If anyone considers adding any supplement to their dietary strategy then please consult a doctor or nurtitionist and do the research to ensure you don't over do it. It is possible to take too much of these things and cause great harm!!

I was aware of the effect of the absorption of VitB12 as it damages the area that produces intrinsic factor which is requited for Vit B12 absorption from foods hence the need for injected Vit B12. Interesting that it has similar effects with other things.

Hi Gwynn, I'm not a PPI user, but I'm curious. On beginning supplementing, how long did it take for you to perk up? Have you had bloods run again to assess the impacts of your "topping up"

Just had bloods today so the results will be in shortly.

My own personal feelings of the effects of taking the new supplements were in terms of days.

The next few days will be interesting (to me)

Just had bloods today so the results will be in shortly.

My own personal feelings of the effects of taking the new supplements were in terms of days.

The next few days will be interesting (to me)

I'll be very interested in your findings.

(I'm such a data geek!)

@AndBreathe I will be very very interested in the results as I have been adjusting things (experimenting)

1. Carb stressing (evenings only). I am interested to see if I really am a diabetic or not.
2. Lowering Cholesterol levels, reducing sat fats, adding various supplements (eg plant sterols)
3. Increasing exercise to improve insulin response
4. Reducing Tostesterone levels
5. Improving potassium levels and Magnesium, Zinc
6. Increasing weight from 55Kg to 65Kg
7. Attempting to reduce my very minor neuropathy (?) In feet. Tiny tingling.

My predictions are:-
Cholesterol levels down (hopefully significantly down let's be brave/foolish into the mid 3's)
HbA1C same or slightly raised
Testosterone levels reduced to in range
Potassium levels in the middle of the normal range

It will eiither be tears or cheers when the results are in early next week

@AndBreathe I will be very very interested in the results as I have been adjusting things (experimenting)

1. Carb stressing (evenings only). I am interested to see if I really am a diabetic or not.
2. Lowering Cholesterol levels, reducing sat fats, adding various supplements (eg plant sterols)
3. Increasing exercise to improve insulin response
4. Reducing Tostesterone levels
5. Improving potassium levels and Magnesium, Zinc
6. Increasing weight from 55Kg to 65Kg
7. Attempting to reduce my very minor neuropathy (?) In feet. Tiny tingling.

My predictions are:-
Cholesterol levels down (hopefully significantly down let's be brave/foolish into the mid 3's)
HbA1C same or slightly raised
Testosterone levels reduced to in range
Potassium levels in the middle of the normal range

It will eiither be tears or cheers when the results are in early next week

My only comment would be that changing so many things at once can be unhelpful in pinpoint key changes or issues.

Fingers crossed for you.

Hmm true enough. I am hoping that each change is reasonably targetted, however, if as a lump they all create improvements then I will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back