Why does insulin make it difficult to lose weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Can anyone explain in layman's terms just why is it extra difficult to lose weight if on insulin? I'm on humalog and insulatard, and it is incredibly hard to shift those pounds.

I need to explain it to the gym, and to my OH, who thinks its an excuse for not losing weight. (He keeps saying 'slim down a bit' :( )

thanks all

Simple answer is that insulin is a weight gain hormone. If you need to take on extra calories to correct hypos, then that makes weight loss more difficult. If you can reduce insulin doses, then less extra food is needed, but it's not easy to get the balance right.

Personally, I find that the best way for me to prevent weight gain, partly because I don't like indoor exercise, is lots of low level exercise eg last 3 days, I've cycled at 7 miles each day, plus walked a couple of miles each on Sat & Sun, plus physical work, mainly loading waste material onto a fire - pitchfork to lift to fire platform approx 1m off ground. it's very rare for me to cycle less than 3 miles on any day. Thurs is running night, usually around 8km, but need to avoid temptation of eating & drinking too much at pub afterwards. Saturday is ParkRun day - 9am, when I'm not working or away somewhere.

Hi Caspar, insulin is effectively a 'growth' hormone. It will help feed the cells of your body and also any excess glucose it will help store as fat cells. This is why it is thought that a lot of Type 2s put on weight because their insulin response is impaired and they are prodcing too much whilst trying to overcome insulin resistance. When injecting insulin it is nowhere near as efficient as a fully functioning pancreas, so it can lead to extra glucose being stored as fat and why it can be difficult to lose weight because of it. You have to work that extra bit harder than a non-diabetic and try to get your control as tight as possible, which is another very difficult thing to do. It can be done though, so keep up the good work at the gym - extra activity increases insulin sensitivity so you need less, and the improvements to your general metabolism continue all the time if you exercise frequently.

Hope this helps! 🙂

I think I will print those answers out and put them under OH's nose - I never knew it was a 'growth hormone'

Copepod - I could never fit in that much exercise - good for you!

I have noticed my basal requirements have reduced since starting gym visits, only by 1 unit so far though.

Thanks folks

"That much exercise" is actually just the quickest way to get to places I need to go or part of my job 🙂 I couldn't find time to go to the gym - just shows we're all different.

hi Casper, I'm glad you asked this question as I was wondering something along the same lines....I've spent the last month really tightly monitoring my sugar levels and since i've been doing that and all the extra insulin adjustments or eating when lo, I've put on 8lbs :( even my exercising doesn't seem to be helping as I have to have calories to keep me going, which is exactly what I am trying to burn off, and then the resultant random BG after exercising.....

I can really see why people are attracted to raised levels to lose weight :(

I must be really wiers then, I'm under wieght, always have been and being on Insulin since diagnosis had not seen my weight increase noticably in 10 years (remained around 8 stone all the time) current weight is 8 Stone 9, which is marginally heavier than this time last year, but not a great deal. Must be because I walk everywhere, I haven't started learning to drive (don't think I even want to) and find walking is far more prefferable to the busses around here, so I can easily walk in excess of 10 miles a day without even thinking about it.

Another factor that could make weight lose difficult, underactive thyroid..

Classic symptoms is weight gain and it's reasonably common in T1's as it's a autoammune disease!

Have you had your checked?

I must be really wiers then, I'm under wieght, always have been and being on Insulin since diagnosis had not seen my weight increase noticably in 10 years (remained around 8 stone all the time) current weight is 8 Stone 9, which is marginally heavier than this time last year, but not a great deal. Must be because I walk everywhere, I haven't started learning to drive (don't think I even want to) and find walking is far more prefferable to the busses around here, so I can easily walk in excess of 10 miles a day without even thinking about it.

I walk a lot too but put on weight having been on insulin for about 2 years. It is difficult to lose weight while on insulin because many of us take too much, causing the need to eat more. I have been reducing my insulin intake (I am on Hypurine Porcine Isophane and Hypurine Porcine Neutral) recently and have so far lost half a stone. I am aware though that everyone's situation is different.

Have you considered trying a different insulin? A friend of mine who was on Lantus changed to Insulatard and gained a stone, so switched back again! Obvisouly that's just one piece of anecdotal evidence, but I don't know if there is anything in it? I think Insulatard has more of a peak than Lantus of Levemir, so does that cause you to need to snack?

insulin and weight gain

My weight went up significantly when I started on insulin. Recently, when I started on Levemir, my doctor said "this one doesn't cause weight gain", implying that the others do! Been trying to lose at least half-a-stone for as long as I can remember but have just acquired a puppy and lost one and a half pounds in the process. Wouldn't recommend this strategy!
QUOTE=Casper;179097]Hi all,

Can anyone explain in layman's terms just why is it extra difficult to lose weight if on insulin? I'm on humalog and insulatard, and it is incredibly hard to shift those pounds.

I need to explain it to the gym, and to my OH, who thinks its an excuse for not losing weight. (He keeps saying 'slim down a bit' :( )

thanks all[/QUOTE]

I sometimes think that dogs should be available on NHS as they encourage walking and weight loss (in some people). 🙂

Another factor that could make weight lose difficult, underactive thyroid..

Classic symptoms is weight gain and it's reasonably common in T1's as it's a autoammune disease!

Have you had your checked?

Would having an underactive thyroid happen as a result of type 1 or would it have alway been there?

Morning,

Thanks for the replies/advice:

Pigeon - I have my 6 mth review at the beginning of November, and will mention this 'weight gain insulatard' issue, I have always been on that as my basal, now doing 5 units am and pm, don't think it makes me snack tho

Novo/Ellie - will also ask for thyroid check at above review

imtrying - yes, those high levels do tempt, especially when I remember how much weight I lost before diagnosis - however, the fear of complications keeps that at bay😱😱

As long as I remember, will report what DSN say about the insulatard weight issue. Hoping I don't get a letter like Northerner, referring me to GP instead of hospital, as have always been with same hospital ever since being admitted with severe ketoacidosis🙄

Read this morning that insulin suppresses the burning of fat stores. Makes sense, since normally, if there's insulin in the bloodstream, there'd be glucose, so that would be used up before the fat reserves.

Makes sense to get by on as little insulin as needed to keep levels good.

ie. exercise more to improve your insulin sensitivity. Eat less to require less insulin.

Obviously, I don't necessarily follow my own advice. 😱

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back