Why does diabetes cause tiredness and fatigue ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Controlling blood sugar can help manage it.

Although personally speaking, I never suffered from it even when I was undiagnosed and BG was high.

I think there are a number of components to consider
- high blood sugars, low blood sugars and roller coaster blood sugars put a strain on our bodies and cause fatigue. Reducing these highs and lows can give you more energy.
- having diabetes is stressful and stress causes fatigue. It is stressful to have to consider blood sugars all the time. It is stressful to worry about complications when you don't get them right. It is stressful to calculate insulin dose every time you eat or drink or exercise or have a tough meeting or ...

In my experience, focusing on the first point - reducing highs and lows is a great start. The rest will come with time.

The other thing to remember is diabetes does not stop us getting ill in other ways. Your fatigue may be due to something else. If you are concerned and if the fatigue is really impacting your life I recommend talking to your doctor.

Fatigue was taking a serious toll on me up until recently. Since I restarted on insulin that’s really helped. Just thought it worth a mention as my DN said thats one of the traits of a LADA, exhaustion. Mine was so bad I could drive to the supermarket and not be able to get out of the car then go home again. Since I have the libre i could pinpoint exactly when it was happening being high seemed to be fine but the dropping back down was a killer.

Im struggling with tiredness and fatigue lately but I'm also wondering if the warmer weather is playing with it too.
My bloods yesterday were all over the place and although I feel a bit better today - I know I'm still tired.
I am restarting some antidepressants though so wondered if its a mixture of things.

Controlling blood sugar can help manage it.

Although personally speaking, I never suffered from it even when I was undiagnosed and BG was high.
The kind of article I like , nice and simple

Thanks

Fatigue was taking a serious toll on me up until recently. Since I restarted on insulin that’s really helped. Just thought it worth a mention as my DN said thats one of the traits of a LADA, exhaustion. Mine was so bad I could drive to the supermarket and not be able to get out of the car then go home again. Since I have the libre i could pinpoint exactly when it was happening being high seemed to be fine but the dropping back down was a killer.
Oh gawd that sounds rough

I resonate so much with @helli ‘s post.

Primarily I think of high BGs as being exhausting physically, and erratic BGs are being exhausting emotionally. And low BG can make my brain malfunction and make me feel very drowsy.

But just because we have diabetes doesn’t mean we aren’t subject to other forms of tiredness too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back