Why can't I get Libre2 audible critical alerts through my NHS Bluetooth hearing aids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy5

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I'm a Type 1 diabetic and have used Freestyle Libre2 continuous glucose monitoring for some time. I am hard of hearing and when I started using the system with a reader I had difficulty hearing the audible alerts. I recently upgraded my mobile phone and was able to use it instead of the reader. The alerts were a bit louder but I still was missing some critical alerts. I enquired about having my hearing aids changed for ones with Bluetooth capability. I was pleased that my NHS audiologists promptly upgraded my aids but I was taken aback when I learned that despite being now able to stream music and take phone calls through the new aids it is not possible to hear the critical alerts from the LibreLink app on my phone.

Has anyone else found this and got it sorted? I know that it's possible on private aids.

My phone is an i-phone and the NHS aids are Oticon Engage BTE

Were you told that it is not possible to hear the critical alerts ?
I don’t have a freestyle Libre 2 but my Oticon engage streams clock alarms etc
Have you enabled the alert on your iPhone?

the audiologist thought that the aids would not receive the alerts from Libreview app. I've checked again - I've enabled every related alert I can find on my phone! Thanks for replying 🙂

Hi you’ve probably done this but just in case you haven’t after You’ve set up the alert on your freestyle app you need to activate the alarm notification on your phone
on iOS
Open Settings on your iPhone.
Go to notifications and select the FreeStyle LibreLink app
Enable Allow notifications
Tap to highlight the lock screen, notification sounds, and banneroptions to enable all notifications.

good luck
my Oticon engage have made such a difference! Face time calls with family in America I can actually hear.

Sorry about the problems you are experiencing with Libre alarms @Andy5

Have you called the Abbott Freestyle helpline to ask them about alarms? They may be able to get their technical support boffins to advise you?

Alternatively there’s a ’Libre Geeks’ group on Facebook which has some very techy members who may be able to offer some ideas?

Hi you’ve probably done this but just in case you haven’t after You’ve set up the alert on your freestyle app you need to activate the alarm notification on your phone
on iOS
Open Settings on your iPhone.
Go to notifications and select the FreeStyle LibreLink app
Enable Allow notifications
Tap to highlight the lock screen, notification sounds, and banneroptions to enable all notifications.

good luck
my Oticon engage have made such a difference! Face time calls with family in America I can actually hear.
Yes did that🙂 Thanks

Sorry about the problems you are experiencing with Libre alarms @Andy5

Have you called the Abbott Freestyle helpline to ask them about alarms? They may be able to get their technical support boffins to advise you?

Alternatively there’s a ’Libre Geeks’ group on Facebook which has some very techy members who may be able to offer some ideas?
Thanks! I'll get on to these asap.

Hello,

I'm a Type 1 diabetic and have used Freestyle Libre2 continuous glucose monitoring for some time. I am hard of hearing and when I started using the system with a reader I had difficulty hearing the audible alerts. I recently upgraded my mobile phone and was able to use it instead of the reader. The alerts were a bit louder but I still was missing some critical alerts. I enquired about having my hearing aids changed for ones with Bluetooth capability. I was pleased that my NHS audiologists promptly upgraded my aids but I was taken aback when I learned that despite being now able to stream music and take phone calls through the new aids it is not possible to hear the critical alerts from the LibreLink app on my phone.

Has anyone else found this and got it sorted? I know that it's possible on private aids.

My phone is an i-phone and the NHS aids are Oticon Engage BTE
Hello, have you considered running a 3rd party free app (which can still be used alongside the Libre app for your diabetes team.) like xDrip of Diabox?
I’ve used earbuds at work or a Bluetooth receiver plugged into the stereo auxiliary at work, pumping out my taste in music. As well as my phone alarming (sometime audible between the tracks though it also vibrates.) the Bluetooth device will pick it up too.
Which was fantastic because I’m in my own area with a compressor pump running with extractors & hot air blowers in the spray shop.

Hope this helps.

Missed the the fact you have an iPhone. You could try “Jucgluco?”

Last edited:
Hi. I think it may be because the Libre can only connect to one BT device at a time and it is connecting to your phone. It's the same problem in the car when connected to the car's system - you won't receive alarms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back