why are under 16th with Diabetes not eligible for Covid Vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have asked our GP about a vaccine for my son, to my surprise he responded that according to the Government guidance under 16s with Diabetes are not eligible (p 17) compared to adults (p13). Does anyone know the logic behind it?
https://assets.publishing.service.g.../1007737/Greenbook_chapter_14a_30July2021.pdf
I think the reasoning is that people with Type 1 diabetes are only more at risk because if they get a severe dose of Covid, the diabetes may worsen the effects, because blood sugars are harder to control. Those getting it mildly are no worse off than the rest of the population, and most children only get a mild dose. Gov.U.K. has some info on it here, and is basically saying the risks of the vaccine outweigh the benefits.

Last edited:
My daughter is 15 now and her doctors have all said that because her diabetes is well controlled, she’s at no greater risk than anyone else. So unless they routinely do all 15 year olds she won’t get one.

Funny how now my son got a letter that he needs 2 doses. After having got his second Covid a week after I started this conversation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back