Whst to expect/ hope for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy s

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my 1st 3 month check since diagnosis, the blood results will be back next week. On diagnosis I had an hba1c of 87, what is a realistic number for me to hope for! I've lost almost a stone and my readings are more consistent between 5-7.8 with occasional higher readings. I don't want to be disappointed but don't know what to expect.
Thanks

I had my 1st 3 month check since diagnosis, the blood results will be back next week. On diagnosis I had an hba1c of 87, what is a realistic number for me to hope for! I've lost almost a stone and my readings are more consistent between 5-7.8 with occasional higher readings. I don't want to be disappointed but don't know what to expect.
Thanks
Expect the unexpected is my advice. Seriously you're doing pretty good. I would not be surprised if you got a 48 and a big smile on all concerned.

Judging by those finger prick results I think that you have every reason to be very optimistic of a very good reduction. To a large extent it depends how much you have been testing and when. If you are testing pre and 2 hours post meal and mostly getting under 7.8 then you could be into the normal range, but it depends how much of the last 3months you have been getting those readings. There may be a bit of influence in your results still from your early post diagnosis days when obviously your levels were much higher. If you have just been doing fasting tests then those readings are likely less representative of your average BG.

I think l I'd faint if it went that low! There has been talk of changing / adding to my medication. I'm on empagliflozin ( had a reaction to metformin), they would like to increase but with the new knowledge of only having one kidney they need to switch to something that's not relying on my kidney so much.
Judging by those finger prick results I think that you have every reason to be very optimistic of a very good reduction. To a large extent it depends how much you have been testing and when. If you are testing pre and 2 hours post meal and mostly getting under 7.8 then you could be into the normal range, but it depends how much of the last 3months you have been getting those readings. There may be a bit of influence in your results still from your early post diagnosis days when obviously your levels were much higher. If you have just been doing fasting tests then those readings are likely less representative of your average BG.
Thank you, I've been mainly testing before and 2 hours after. This week readings have been higher not sure if heat related or more likely return to work after Sumner break!

I think l I'd faint if it went that low! There has been talk of changing / adding to my medication. I'm on empagliflozin ( had a reaction to metformin), they would like to increase but with the new knowledge of only having one kidney they need to switch to something that's not relying on my kidney so much.

Thank you, I've been mainly testing before and 2 hours after. This week readings have been higher not sure if heat related or more likely return to work after Sumner break!
If you're testing every day you can workout an average which will give you a basic but good idea what the figure will be in the results of your test. I went from 85 to 55 and my prediction based on average was correct.

Thanks

I would imagine with readings like that you will see a good reduction.

Hi Kathy,
Would not be surprised if you hit Richards figure of 48 though depends on how much earlier high numbers are still in system.
I was diagnosed with level of 100 5 weeks ago and my average is now about 7.3 so much higher than your current levels.
I am getting 96% TIR and other 4% is above 10 but below 13.3 but nothing below 4 as am trying to keep a little higher whilst stabilising.
My estimated A12 on Libre is 55 but that obviously includes all my 5 weeks of data but at my DSN appt yesterday she said I had an indicative level of 48 ( she is getting all my data but presumably they can do a better estimate by orojecting last 7/14/30 day data which will eliminate many of the earlier high readings.
Good luck with your results

Hope you feel your results reflect the effort you have put in @kathy s

From the sounds of your fingerstick results, you should see steady improvement in your HbA1c.

Over the years I have found it better to try to avoid hoping for a particular number, because I can get bizarrely ‘disappointed’ by a very good result if it is a smidge above what I was expecting.

Let us know when you get the results! And remember that a gentle reduction can be easier on the fine blood vessels, so don’t be disappointed if it’s not as low as you may have expected. If the general trend is roughly level or downward, take that as a win!(though I expect it will be quite a significant drop)

On diagnosis I had an hba1c of 87, what is a realistic number for me to hope for! I don't want to be disappointed but don't know what to expect.
I was diagnosed at 83. I cut down alot of carbs especially bread/pasta but didn't go silly. Slowly but substantially upped my excersise especially running. Started taking Metformin 500×2 twice a day 2000 in total.
My 1st HbA1c after diagnosis was 50. Doctor seemed pretty chuffed with that.
Looking to book my next test next month which should be interesting.
I know its nerve-racking but focus on your diet & weight loss.... Good luck!

So I phoned the surgery for my blood results,I'm seeing the nurse on Thursday but couldn't wait! Now the secretary told me she wasnt medical but I said just tell me the number for the hba1c. 87 on diagnosis, new reading ............................44!! I'm on Medication but I'm very happy!

So I phoned the surgery for my blood results,I'm seeing the nurse on Thursday but couldn't wait! Now the secretary told me she wasnt medical but I said just tell me the number for the hba1c. 87 on diagnosis, new reading ............................44!! I'm on Medication but I'm very happy!
So you should be, well done! If you have scope to push down weight a bit further you may be able to get the A1c lower still and also come off the meds.

Many, many congratulations! That is a really great result and if you can maintain the changes that you have made, it is entirely possible that you could get it into the "normal" range by your next test and perhaps consider medication reduction if that is your goal or maintain the medication and perhaps ease up on your diet a bit if you find it unsustainable longer term although I have found low carb easier as I go on because I get more ideas and find new things that I like. The choice is down to you as to what works long term for you, but you have made fantastic progress and I hope your nurse is suitably impressed.

Many, many congratulations! That is a really great result and if you can maintain the changes that you have made, it is entirely possible that you could get it into the "normal" range by your next test and perhaps consider medication reduction if that is your goal or maintain the medication and perhaps ease up on your diet a bit if you find it unsustainable longer term although I have found low carb easier as I go on because I get more ideas and find new things that I like. The choice is down to you as to what works long term for you, but you have made fantastic progress and I hope your nurse is suitably impressed.
Low carb isn't too bad, the only thing I miss is bread! I have a cookbook arriving today!

@kathy s - well done. Bear in mind that the HBA1c is approximately a 3 month average...so if 3 months ago it was 87 and your average is now 44, then you are likely heading even lower than your recent reading if you maintain what you are doing and get tested in, say, another 3 months time.

I didn't want to raise your hopes, just in case, but I went from 91 to 47 at the first retest, and at 6 months was 41 - so you could be even lower with a bit of luck.
I can't seem to reduce my levels into the 30s - I reduced my carbs to see if it would do the trick and a year later it was exactly the same, but I recently realised that I'd had elevated glucose levels for a decade before diagnosis, just no one thought to mention it.
I am however still in the same area, five years later, so I'll happily stick to eating low carb.
Good luck.

I didn't want to raise your hopes, just in case, but I went from 91 to 47 at the first retest, and at 6 months was 41 - so you could be even lower with a bit of luck.
I can't seem to reduce my levels into the 30s - I reduced my carbs to see if it would do the trick and a year later it was exactly the same, but I recently realised that I'd had elevated glucose levels for a decade before diagnosis, just no one thought to mention it.
I am however still in the same area, five years later, so I'll happily stick to eating low carb.
Good luck.
Recent thinking suggests that as we get older our red blood cells don't regenerate as quickly and therefore the ones in our blood stream have been there longer and will have therefore attracted more glucose in that time, so that the HbA1c diabetes threshold may not be as relevant to people in their 70s and 80s as it is for younger people, so this may be why you can't lower your HbA1c below 41 by reducing carbs further and even prediabetes (42-48) may actually be normal/acceptable result for people in that age group. It seems a shame that older people might get into a panic when they get a diabetes diagnosis when their levels are only just over the threshold of 48 when they probably aren't really diabetic at all in reality. I suppose it is similar to getting a diabetes diagnosis from your HbA1c when you are in fact just anaemic. The blood composition will impact HbA1c, so it is not a totally infallible measure of diabetes.

Recent thinking suggests that as we get older our red blood cells don't regenerate as quickly and therefore the ones in our blood stream have been there longer and will have therefore attracted more glucose in that time, so that the HbA1c diabetes threshold may not be as relevant to people in their 70s and 80s as it is for younger people, so this may be why you can't lower your HbA1c below 41 by reducing carbs further and even prediabetes (42-48) may actually be normal/acceptable result for people in that age group. It seems a shame that older people might get into a panic when they get a diabetes diagnosis when their levels are only just over the threshold of 48 when they probably aren't really diabetic at all in reality. I suppose it is similar to getting a diabetes diagnosis from your HbA1c when you are in fact just anaemic. The blood composition will impact HbA1c, so it is not a totally infallible measure of diabetes.
Absolutely spot on Barbara.

I am pretty certain that my blood glucose is stable year on year, and that the increases , 41, 42, and now 43 are down to my age and the alterations it brings.
The red blood corpuscles are still swimming around in well controlled juices, but they are not being collected up and recycled at the same rate as 5 years ago.

We have a winner. I knew 48 was a bit high. Congrats to @kathy s

Now comes the hard work to keep it there.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back