Wholemeal Sourdough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pam123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone please recommend wholemeal sourdough please, I struggle with normal bread even one slice,I understand that Sourdough bread is better for diabetics ?

I have the Tesco wholemeal sourdough bread @Pam123 and find it very good. It’s more satisfying than pappy sliced bread and causes a slower blood glucose rise. Rye bread is also good. However, it’s all individual, so I suggest you try a few and test your blood sugar to see how you get on with them. The rye bread I have is Biona. I freeze the loaves and take out a few slices at a time. For the sourdough, I slice it before freezing and do the same.

I have the Tesco wholemeal sourdough bread @Pam123 and find it very good. It’s more satisfying than pappy sliced bread and causes a slower blood glucose rise. Rye bread is also good. However, it’s all individual, so I suggest you try a few and test your blood sugar to see how you get on with them. The rye bread I have is Biona. I freeze the loaves and take out a few slices at a time. For the sourdough, I slice it before freezing and do the same.
Thank you i will try it out.

I can recommend baking your own. I purchased a sourdough starter may years before everyone got excited about sourdough during the covid lockdown. And it is still going.
Whilst a loaf takes a long time to prove, it requires very little effort - there is no need to knead it, just do a bit of stretching (of the dough) 4 times over 24 hours.
I always feed my starter with white flour but use different combinations of flour - rye, wholemeal, seeded, when I bake a loaf. All you need is flour, water and a little salt.
I usually bake two loaves every 4 weeks over a weekend and freeze one for the weeks ahead. You can bake them more often depending how much you like the "sour" taste. I use 200g of starter for 2 loaves and then feed it with 100g flour and 100ml water which maintains it at the same level.
If you want to bake less bread, you can use the starter for things like pancakes, crumpets or sourdough crackers for cheese night.

It makes the best toasties ... ever. At least that is what my partner tells me.

I can recommend baking your own. I purchased a sourdough starter may years before everyone got excited about sourdough during the covid lockdown. And it is still going.
Whilst a loaf takes a long time to prove, it requires very little effort - there is no need to knead it, just do a bit of stretching (of the dough) 4 times over 24 hours.
I always feed my starter with white flour but use different combinations of flour - rye, wholemeal, seeded, when I bake a loaf. All you need is flour, water and a little salt.
I usually bake two loaves every 4 weeks over a weekend and freeze one for the weeks ahead. You can bake them more often depending how much you like the "sour" taste. I use 200g of starter for 2 loaves and then feed it with 100g flour and 100ml water which maintains it at the same level.
If you want to bake less bread, you can use the starter for things like pancakes, crumpets or sourdough crackers for cheese night.

It makes the best toasties ... ever. At least that is what my partner tells me.
thanks my hubby is the baker and says he would give it a go, just been looking at starter kits on Amazon, so you just need normal flour ? what is 200g of starter ?

thanks my hubby is the baker and says he would give it a go, just been looking at starter kits on Amazon, so you just need normal flour ? what is 200g of starter ?
Sourdough uses a "starter" which you can make or buy and then you "feed it" with bread flour and water regularly,
When I bake a loaf, I take 200g from this starter (a thick gluey gloop which I keep in the fridge), add 1kg of bread flour, 650ml water and some salt to make the loaves.
I then add 100g flour and 100ml water to the pot of starter and put back in the fridge,
I guess my starter pot has about 600g of "gloop" in it.
You don't need to add yeast because it "takes yeast from the air"during it's long proving

I bought my starter from BakeryBits - it was not cheap but as it has been going for so long, it has been good value. And came with a recipe which I am still using.
There are recipes to make your starter from scratch but I failed when I tried and decided to get a ready made one.

This is one of my loaves (I used white flour for this one)

415526682_10163672259207846_1310279130686169390_n.jpg

Sourdough uses a "starter" which you can make or buy and then you "feed it" with bread flour and water regularly,
When I bake a loaf, I take 200g from this starter (a thick gluey gloop which I keep in the fridge), add 1kg of bread flour, 650ml water and some salt to make the loaves.
I then add 100g flour and 100ml water to the pot of starter and put back in the fridge,
You don't need to add yeast because it "takes yeast from the air"during it's long proving

I bought my starter from BakeryBits - it was not cheap but as it has been going for so long, it has been good value. And came with a recipe which I am still using.
There are recipes to make your starter from scratch but I failed when I tried and decided to get a ready made one.

View attachment 28913
Thank you for your help i understand now, your bread looks amazing,

View attachment 28913

The looks as good as your get in bakery shop @helli

Really like sourdough bread, sadly mine is bought from shops.

Can anyone please recommend wholemeal sourdough please, I struggle with normal bread even one slice,I understand that Sourdough bread is better for diabetics ?

Unfortunately sourdough is just normal bread.
If I make bread I make up some dough with bread flour and let it rise once then add in whatever is available in the house, seeds and high fibre 'flours' and let it rise again in the tin I am to bake it in, even if it takes some time, keeping it covered so a dry crust doesn't form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back